Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slax 9.4 RC1 Available For A Lightweight Debian Experience

Phoronix: Slax 9.4 RC1 Available For A Lightweight Debian Experience

The first release candidate of the Debian-based Slax Linux distribution is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pointless distribution is pointless.

Debian runs fine on my Amiga 4000 with an 68060 clocked at 50 MHz and 128 MiB RAM.

What exactly is the point to install a distribution made by people who most likely have no clue how to maintain a distribution and don't provide any proper security support?

If you want a minimal Debian installation, just run "debootstrap --no-check-gpg --arch=amd64 --variant=minimal unstable unstable http://ftp.debian.org/debian", that's it. No need for the 7872782th fork of Debian with half-assed support.

Really. people. Please. Stop. Making. Mini. Distributions. It's pointless.

Comment

Yeah, Debian have mini.iso which says:

You must have at least 105 megabytes of RAM to use this Debian installer.

You should have space on your hard disk to create a new disk partition
      of at least 780 megabytes to install the base system. You'll need more
      disk space to install additional packages, depending on what you wish
      to do with your new Debian system.
      For Jessie that was 680 MB, for Wheezy 500 MB and 44 MB RAM... that kind of doubling every let say5 years, but is still lightweight as it could be If you are still not satisfied, you always have debootstrap, etc... what somoene wanna install additionaly on top of that base install was always up to him.

SLAX (Small Live Auxiliary linuX) itself is liveweight, not lightweight

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      It is not pointless, it is for people who like to live in live aufs... like these with btrfs or zfs who can't stand any other fs, they also have their points - that is all OK

What exactly is the point to install a distribution made by people who most likely have no clue how to maintain a distribution and don't provide any proper security support?
      At least they update this distro after Debian made point release, taking all securty improvments after a while with that. So at least it is secure from point to point, of course does that security works under their aux enviroment i am not sure
      Last edited by dungeon; 25 March 2018, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Lack of UEFI support in 2018 = instant-irrelevance

Comment

If you want a minimal Debian installation, just run "debootstrap --no-check-gpg --arch=amd64 --variant=minimal unstable unstable http://ftp.debian.org/debian", that's it. No need for the 7872782th fork of Debian with half-assed support.
          Do you know a proper equivalent deboostrap command, for a minimal Fedora installation? Capable only for boot in runlevel 2 single user, text mode, nothing more.

Comment

Debian runs fine on my Amiga 4000 with an 68060 clocked at 50 MHz and 128 MiB RAM.

Really. people. Please. Stop. Making. Mini. Distributions. It's pointless.
            While I openly admit to being an absolute Amiga fanatic, and are not holding back one bit in becoming a Debian fanatic as well I sort of understand your point. Debian is fine and it is not hard to install a minimal system with very low requirements.

Yes, making the n'th fork of Debian may sound pointless, but is it really!? I think not. Suddenly an "invention" in one of these myriad of mini-distros that is based upon Debian is picked up and ends up in the main repo so it all contributes back to Debian in the long run. While I admit that most of the work may be wasted it still fosters creativity and that should be praised. So really, following your argument means that we all might as well be using Windows and keep quiet.

I like diversity and I am glad there is a gazillion filesystems in Linux, multiple browsers to choose from, multiple desktop environments, different music players, different operating systems like FreeBSD, NetBSD, Minix3, AmigaOS, different computers, graphics cards etc!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Slax isn’t pointless, or should I say wasn’t. It used to be one of the most popular live distros. Used to use it at work. Now I just stick to parted magic.

Comment

Working...
              X