Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.04's Automatic Suspend Shows Linux Suspend Can Still Be An Issue In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Many thanks to answer me. May you use the FTWS program to check the ACPI release of your motherboard, or any other program able to detect it?
    I'm not sure I understand what "ACPI release" you are talking about, this is the only info related to bios version that I found in FTWS's log file:
    Code:
    Test 1 of 1: Gather BIOS DMI information
    BIOS Vendor       : American Megatrends Inc.
    BIOS Version      : P4.20
    BIOS Release Date : 01/13/2016
    Board Name        : FM2A88X Extreme6+
    Or maybe it was this one? But the version is not printed:
    Code:
    Test 1 of 3: Determine Kernel ACPI version.
    Kernel ACPICA driver version: 20180105, supports ACPI 6.0

Test 2 of 3: Determine machine's ACPI version.

Test 3 of 3: Determine AML compiler.
    Determine the compiler used to generate the ACPI AML in the DSDT and SSDT.
    Last edited by Ansla; 12 April 2018, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post

I'm not sure I understand what "ACPI release" you are talking about, this is the only info related to bios version that I found in FTWS's log file:
      Code:
      Test 1 of 1: Gather BIOS DMI information
      BIOS Vendor : American Megatrends Inc.
      BIOS Version : P4.20
      BIOS Release Date : 01/13/2016
      Board Name : FM2A88X Extreme6+
      Or maybe it was this one? But the version is not printed:
      Code:
      Test 1 of 3: Determine Kernel ACPI version.
      Kernel ACPICA driver version: 20180105, supports ACPI 6.0

Test 2 of 3: Determine machine's ACPI version.

Test 3 of 3: Determine AML compiler.
      Determine the compiler used to generate the ACPI AML in the DSDT and SSDT.
      FTWS LOG shows the kernel supports up to 6.0 release of ACPI however the ACPI FTWS should show also the ACPI version of the bios installed into the motherboard. Try to make the complete analysis and after it scroll the first lines of the log so that you should see pieces of information about ACPI.

Comment

Nope, ran `ftws -a` and I see nothing new regarding ACPI version in the log file. How does that snippet look like in your case?

Comment

I was also having this problem plague me ... and a fix after many manY maNY mANY MANY attempts was to re-install Ubuntu 18.04, and now it is working perfectly. I am also using Nvidia's "tested" Driver, as Nvidia was the culprit before.

Perhaps it was the "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers" ppa which installed "Extra" Stuff from the PPA and/or the 396 driver itself which screwed up my laptop's hibernating ability.

Either way it works flawlessly at this time of writing with the NVidia's 390 tested driver. And just FYI, it was also working with the 396 driver for a long time, but became problematic last week - AGAIN! SO although I don't know the exact cause ...

It is/was definitely related to the NVidia driver as before switching to the Nouveau driver also worked, but I sure did not like that option.

Trying to help, Mark

p.s here are my other Tomboy notes for other issues with Ubuntu and Hibernating (sorry for the garbled look. Each DOT means a new line in Tomboy

18/07 Troubleshooting

‣ Prerequisites - does your kernel support suspend-to-disk?

• Kernel supports whatever is listed in /sys/power/state, so: • cat /sys/power/state • Allowed (to my knowledge) entries there include: mem, standby, freeze, disk. Explanation: ∘ mem - has several meanings, which one exactly on your system you'll find out via cat /sys/power/mem_sleep. I have: s2idle [deep] ∘ standby - Power-On Suspend (if supported) ∘ freeze - Suspend To Idle (STI) ∘ disk - Suspend To Disk (STD), hibernation. This - you want. ∘ mine says : freeze mem disk - PERFECT! • Then we need to check • $ cat /sys/power/disk ‣ [platform] shutdown reboot suspend test_resume
          ‣ [disabled]
          • (not very good)

‣ Enable Hibernate and put it in menu - Easy-Peasy • sudo apt install pm-utils cpufrequtils • Then test if hibernate works in your computer by running command: • sudo pm-hibernate • After you computer turns off, switch it back on. ‣ Did your open applications re-open? If so it works, if not then hibernate does not work. You can check if your Swappiness partition is at least as large as your available RAM, as it may solve the problem.Problem! Hibernation not allowed! ∘ Test: pm-hibernate - (if pm-utils package is installed) , or ∘ works! after 18.04 re-install and no Nvidia yet ∘ systemctl hibernate ∘ works! after 18.04 re-install and no Nvidia yet

∘ Re-add Hibernate Option to Shutdown menu: • 1. Edit a specific file with this command. • sudo gedit /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla

• 2. Scroll down the Text Document and find the below sections: ∘ [Disable hibernate by default in upower] ∘ [Disable hibernate by default in logind] ∘ Change both the values from no to yes in: ∘ ResultActive=no (change this to yes) ‣ Save, Exit & Reboot - Done!

Comment

Working...
          X