• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iavael
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

The dates are called preferred targets.
    That’s why delays are expected and are not a problem.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by iavael View Post

Ok, even if we don’t call it “deadline”, but “schedule” (fedora call it this way itself), missing a schedule is still a delay.
    The dates are called preferred targets.

Leave a comment:

• iavael
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Can you even call it a deadline with all honesty? Seems more like "this is an optimistic miminum date, we can't do it any faster than this". The only point of saying there's an expected release date is it allows you to be able to determine when people should stop making breaking changes/any changes.
    Ok, even if we don’t call it “deadline”, but “schedule” (fedora call it this way itself), missing a schedule is still a delay.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Can you even call it a deadline with all honesty? Seems more like "this is an optimistic miminum date, we can't do it any faster than this". The only point of saying there's an expected release date is it allows you to be able to determine when people should stop making breaking changes/any changes.
    This is indeed correct. The dates are by design more fluid than a fixed release cycle. They aren't really deadlines and adjustments to the dates as and when needed based on the release criteria are part of the plan.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    in b4 "they should be like Debian and just release it when it's done instead of having a fixed deadline" posts
    ITYM Ubuntu. Debian will afaik also postpone release on blockers

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by iavael View Post

You set the deadline, you miss it. That’s what people call a delay.

P.S. I actually don’t dislike Fedora release engineering style.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    in b4 "they should be like Debian and just release it when it's done instead of having a fixed deadline" posts

Leave a comment:

• iavael
    replied
    Originally posted by mattdm View Post
    I know this seems to be like shouting into the void, but I'll repeat: nothing has been "delayed" and we're not having particular "challenges" with this release.
    You set the deadline, you miss it. That’s what people call a delay.

P.S. I actually don’t dislike Fedora release engineering style.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Fedora integrates tens of thousands of packages with hundreds of thousands (millions?) of changes every release.
    As does every other major distro. And many minor distros.

Leave a comment:

• mulenmar
    replied
    I know this seems to be like shouting into the void...
    Trying to bring any logic into this forum is shouting into the void, especially when the trolls come out.

I, at least, appreciate the effort anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X