Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Continues Prepping With The Linux 4.15 Kernel

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Continues Prepping With The Linux 4.15 Kernel

There were various calls by independent end-users voicing their two cents that Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic Beaver" should ship with Linux 4.16 instead of Linux 4.15, but that isn't going to happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

always the same old story

Comment

Yeap, the decided to not use 4.14 LTS and backport needed changed - that's ok. So they started to use 4.15, but why not 4.15-current (as for now 4.15.12). This is lack of consequences typical for Ubuntu and all Canonical products...

Comment

Since this thread will likely be read by early 18.04 adopters, has any else noticed that it seems to be abnormally hard to turn off suspend in 18.04? I set up a physics researcher with an 18.04 box because of the cutting edge desktop he bought. He typically only accesses the machine remotely and was having issues with the machine suspending and killing his ssh sessions even after I turned off suspend in Gnome. We ended up resorting to

Code:
        sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

Comment

People need to stop using Ubuntu and migrate to some proper distros like Archlinux for their desktops. Ubuntu is fine for your grandma but if you have bigger needs you need something better. Obviously server folks don't need this advice because they aren't using Ubuntu to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by chilek View Post
            Yeap, the decided to not use 4.14 LTS and backport needed changed - that's ok. So they started to use 4.15, but why not 4.15-current (as for now 4.15.12). This is lack of consequences typical for Ubuntu and all Canonical products...
            the last kernel is based in 4.15.10, they will push a new one soon based in 4.15.12

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              People need to stop using Ubuntu and migrate to some proper distros like Archlinux for their desktops.
              Agreed. I migrated to Arch a long time ago but haven't been able to convince people at work that this is the way to go.

Comment

People need to stop using Ubuntu and migrate to some proper distros like Archlinux for their desktops. Ubuntu is fine for your grandma but if you have bigger needs you need something better. Obviously server folks don't need this advice because they aren't using Ubuntu to begin with...
                Sorry to break it to you but we use Ubuntu on all our servers and so do a lot of our customers. I would also guess that the number of servers running Ubuntu on say the Amazon EC2 cloud is quite large.

Comment

In general i never liked Ubuntu, however it is the first distro that ive experimented with that installs and runs on my HP Ryzen mobile machine. That is only the latest 18.04 too.

I always have prefreed Fedora myself but they apparently dont care about new hardware there. Im actually in the mood to go with something completeky different than Fedora so hopefully more distros will stabilize with respect to Ryzen mobile before 18.04 is released.

I guess this is the horror of being on the bleeding edge tech wise. Given that if just a couple of bugs get fixed in the next few weeks i will likely have a permanent Linux install. At this point we have two bugs. One is the keyboard / track pad going dead randomly (which might be fixed in the latest update). The other is suspend not happening properly when the lid is closed. The keyboard issues is a show stopper though.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

Agreed. I migrated to Arch a long time ago but haven't been able to convince people at work that this is the way to go.

i haven't tried Arch yet on Ryzen mobile, has anybody gone this route here? Im expecting to go with a permanent installation soon, frankly as soon as the show stopping Ryzen mobile issues are resolved ( probably kernel 16 ).

Comment

Working...
                    X