Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Will Get An IoT Edition

Phoronix: Fedora Will Get An IoT Edition

Fedora is planning to make a seemingly tardy entrance into the "Internet of Things" space with a new Fedora IoT Edition on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

there really pushing this Atomic Crap down peoples throats, just wonder if it'll actually take off this crap

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      there really pushing this Atomic Crap down peoples throats, just wonder if it'll actually take off this crap
      Why do you think Atomic is not good and do you have any concrete examples of it being forced on people ?

Comment

Most IoT devices use proprietary cloud-based implementations and apps. Not exactly inline with the ideals of Fedora. I've been replacing firmware with open source code (like Tasmota), as well as my own software on flashable / configurable devices. In this way, none of the devices on my network phone home or use Internet connectivity. Remote operation is via SSH / VPN access only (LAN of Things).

All that is to say, I'm not sure how Fedora will fit in this environment. They can't directly interoperate with proprietary devices, and they can't interoperate with many LAN of Things devices. Not much info at the Wiki. Maybe MQTT will be the basis? But that still excludes the bulk of existing devices.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinK View Post

Why do you think Atomic is not good and do you have any concrete examples of it being forced on people ?
          i wouldnt say Forced just yet, but eventually they will;, as Atomic + Modules seem to be the way Fedora is going

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
            All that is to say, I'm not sure how Fedora will fit in this environment. They can't directly interoperate with proprietary devices, and they can't interoperate with many LAN of Things devices. Not much info at the Wiki. Maybe MQTT will be the basis? But that still excludes the bulk of existing devices.
            LoRa too

Comment

I am running Fedora at the moment.
              I'm having a lot of issues with pulse audio. Many programs output garbled noises.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                I'm having a lot of issues with pulse audio. Many programs output garbled noises.
                this is normal with PA, I simply use ALSA directly ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utviLZ5c9SE

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                  My toaster keeps burning the bread.

Neither this comment nor your post have anything to do with this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    this is normal with PA,[/url]
                    No it's not. It's at least 3 years that it's not normal for PA to run like crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X