Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18.04 Beta 1 Released For Opt-In Ubuntu Flavors

Phoronix: 18.04 Beta 1 Released For Opt-In Ubuntu Flavors

Today marks the first beta release of opt-in flavors participating for the Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic Beaver" development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I got SSL context errors 140a90c4 in some applications which got resolved after I installed the libssl-dev package.
    The text in Atom 1.24.0 and Visual Studio Code 1.21.0 is garbled. This will get resolved with Electron 2.0. In the meanwhile you can use the beta version of Atom.

Comment

I tested little bit Kubuntu 18.04 beta 1, because KDE Plasma is the only DE I care about now.
      From the beginning I was disappointed.
      I chose to download the iso as torrent for high speed and automatic integrity checking.
      Guess what, the download was painfully slow on my high-speed fiber connection, only one seed was available and that one was very slow.
      I put it on my flash drive and booted it.
      I was greeted with a small window asking me if I want to try it or install it.
      I chose "Try it" of course.
      Guess what, another painfully slow experience, I had to wait for about 5 minutes to get to Desktop.
      I really don't get why did they put this crappy Try it / Install it window instead of just booting by default into the "Try it" mode and have a shortcut icon on the desktop to open the installer like every other sane distro?
      BTW, after clicking on the Try it button, I got bored and I clicked on the window's minimize button
      Can you guess what happened?
      The window minimize somewhere (disappeared) and I couldn't get it back because there's no taskbar there to see the minimized windows.
      On sane distros this cannot happen since the boot directly to full Desktop, hence the Taskbar is available at all times and if you minimize the installer window, for example, you can see it in the Taskbar and un-minimize it.
      I bet that if I put the iso on my flash drive with the persistence mode turned on, it will still stop at that window ask me that stupid question over and over again...

It finally loaded the the Desktop.
      I saw the Bluetooth is again started automatically like in all the Ubuntu distros from past years, even though I never use it and it consumes extra battery energy.
      Not to mention that I don't need any extra radio radiation an pollution besides Wifi. Also Bluetooth had / has security vulnerabilities and it's more secure to be left off if not used.
      I connected to Wifi. Here I had to input my password twice ( once in the wifi applet and once in the popup window). God forbid to have a secure very long wifi password.
      Looking at the Info center I saw that KDE Plasma is still compiled with an old version of Qt.
      The wallpaper, only one, if I remember right, is very ugly. Is it to much to ask to put a few landscapes wallpapers?
      No wonder I miss so much Linux Mint's KDE edition.
      Browsing network files shared from Windows computers still fails.
      No virtual keyboard.
      All in one, for me this seems to be a disappointing release!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I got SSL context errors 140a90c4 in some applications which got resolved after I installed the libssl-dev package.
        The text in Atom 1.24.0 and Visual Studio Code 1.21.0 is garbled. This will get resolved with Electron 2.0. In the meanwhile you can use the beta version of Atom.
        Are you sure it didn't pull something as dependency that was the actual fix?

Comment

I hope to see a flavor with unity7. I know it is still in the depots but currently (17.10) there are many bugs. 17.04 was very stable. It sucks I had to upgrade...

Comment

Working...
          X