Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMandriva Switching Back From RPM5 To RPM4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenMandriva Switching Back From RPM5 To RPM4

    Phoronix: OpenMandriva Switching Back From RPM5 To RPM4

    It was seven years ago that Mandriva 2011 switched to using RPM5 from RPM4, but now for the next OpenMandriva release they are transitioning back to using RPM4 and with that making use of Fedora's DNF...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...a-Back-To-RPM4

  • #2
    Or they can change to Apt/dpkg and .deb packages :-)

    Anyway, who is considered the fastest package system, from a upgrading packages standpoint? I know is impossible to be as slow as Windows Update...
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-05-2018, 02:01 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      The obligatory question:

      Why not zypper?

      Unless dnf has caught up since fedora 25, zypper is clearly better from a user's point of view. On the surface, dnf seems like the next most pointless project ever (after Mir of course) … maybe I would know better if I knew the answer to my question.
      Last edited by andreano; 03-05-2018, 02:51 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Or they can change to Apt/dpkg and .deb packages :-)

        Anyway, who is considered the fastest package system, from a upgrading packages standpoint? I know is impossible to be as slow as Windows Update...
        I don't know who's the fastest, but dpkg is certainly the slowest binary package manager. The besides of which is without them becoming a Debian distribution which they aren't, switching to apt gains them exactly... nothing. As has been stated far too many times before in these forums, switching to a universal package format does nothing for you because without taking extra measures foreign packages are going to continue to be incompatible with the system. An RPM from openmandriva will not work on Fedora which an RPM from will not work on openSUSE. Debian and Ubuntu only have a level of inter-compatibility because from the big picture perspective Ubuntu is a slightly modified Debian.

        This is the reason Flatpak exists, which does a lot more work by creating the concept of portable runtimes which makes it somewhat more clever than how Windows handles it, but is fundamentally the same practice of carrying your dependencies around with you.

        Comment


        • #5
          When you say dpkg is slow, do you mean from a maintainers point of view? From a user point of view debian and synaptic are lightning fast for end users.

          Comment


          • #6
            i would say the fastest are arch packages

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by andreano View Post
              The obligatory question:

              Why not zypper?

              Unless dnf has caught up since fedora 25, zypper is clearly better from a user's point of view. On the surface, dnf seems like the next most pointless project ever (after Mir of course) … maybe I would know better if I knew the answer to my question.
              Well DNF makes sense as a replacement for yum as it keeps the same command line parameters (mostly) and it uses libsolv which is the same library zypper uses.
              Why you would choose DNF instead of zypper on a distro that didn't have yum before, that's a good question :-)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by diriel View Post
                When you say dpkg is slow, do you mean from a maintainers point of view? From a user point of view debian and synaptic are lightning fast for end users.
                I use a lot of GNU/Linux distros. Every time I use a Debian-based distro, I put myself into the recovery position and I cry "Why this is so slooooooooow? Stop run triggers FOR EACH PACKAGES".
                Debian-based are using too much repositories. It takes a lot of time to update packages database.
                Really, Pacman is the fastest package manager I known. Pacman hooks give sense. That is Pacman 5 killer feature.
                Last edited by Xorg; 03-05-2018, 04:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

                  I don't know who's the fastest, but dpkg is certainly the slowest binary package manager. The besides of which is without them becoming a Debian distribution which they aren't, switching to apt gains them exactly... nothing. As has been stated far too many times before in these forums, switching to a universal package format does nothing for you because without taking extra measures foreign packages are going to continue to be incompatible with the system. An RPM from openmandriva will not work on Fedora which an RPM from will not work on openSUSE. Debian and Ubuntu only have a level of inter-compatibility because from the big picture perspective Ubuntu is a slightly modified Debian.

                  This is the reason Flatpak exists, which does a lot more work by creating the concept of portable runtimes which makes it somewhat more clever than how Windows handles it, but is fundamentally the same practice of carrying your dependencies around with you.
                  The guy you replied to is either a troll or a person that does not know how the distro system work. Regardless great description.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Xorg View Post
                    I use a lot of GNU/Linux distros. Every time I use a Debian-based distro, I put myself into the recovery position and I cry "Why this is so slooooooooow? Stop run triggers FOR EACH PACKAGES".
                    Debian-based are using too much repositories. It takes a lot of time to update packages database.
                    Really, Pacman is the fastest package manager I known. Pacman hooks give sense. That is Pacman 5 killer feature.
                    are you sure you are using a lot distos, you sound as someone who just tried to purge mail server through dselect....
                    Last edited by edmon; 03-05-2018, 04:45 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X