No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Enters Its Feature Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible? And 18.04.1 should use the same as it's 18.04.0 with bugfixes. So a newer kernel out of the box would be in 18.04.2.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

You need that for creating or reading PDFs? For reading, my Windows machines here use the tiny Sumara PDF, since the Adobe alternative is ridiculously large.
      I think an age ago I got Ghostscript on Windows. Because there weren't many alternate readers and/or it read .ps files just fine ; these originated from Unix programs such as gnuplot output or documents printed into a file.
      pdf2ps and ps2pdf are also easy to use. Technically if you don't even have graphics on your computer you should be able to download a pdf, convert it to ps and print it on a printer. Or make something in TeX, get it in pdf form and mail it.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

unite
        Great thanks.

Comment

dammit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1752938

Comment

I quote :

Steps to reproduce:
            1. Install Ubuntu 18.04 daily live. I've tried Kubuntu 18.04 Feb 26's daily live(the installer in Mar 1 crashes which prevents me from installing it) and Xubuntu 18.04 Mar 2's daily live. Ubuntu is utilizing my GPU in live cd session and after the fresh install Ubuntu is also utilizing my GPU.
            2. Reboot into the newly installed system, do a dist-upgrade and reboot again. Opengl renderer falls back to llvmpipe.
            So, don't do a dist-upgrade on an alpha or beta distro? Or do it to help with the bugs.
            It's interesting how "robust" it is still, gives you llvmpipe!
            I wonder how fast it is with four hardware threads or more and AVX2.

Silly thing : Steam had a logic bomb to forbid me running with the nouveau driver, but would allow llvmpipe. (yes it had a dialog box commanding me to run nvidia 304 or higher. )

Comment

You need that for creating or reading PDFs? For reading, my Windows machines here use the tiny Sumara PDF, since the Adobe alternative is ridiculously large.
              I need that for the shared commenting feature.
              I wouldn't bother with Adobe if I only required the features you mentioned.
              I am a technical writer, and collecting all comments from 20 reviewers in a single PDF document is a huge improvement over sending out a copy to each of them and then consolidating the results. Consolidating comments in a 200-1200 page installation / admin guide is not fun, believe me.

I try to avoid bloated corporate crap as much as possible, but in this case they have a feature I cannot replace with anything even remotely similar.
              If you know of any alternative that offers comparable functionality then I'm very much open for suggestions.
              Last edited by OneBitUser; 05 March 2018, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

I am a technical writer, and collecting all comments from 20 reviewers in a single PDF document is a huge improvement over sending out a copy to each of them and then consolidating the results. Consolidating comments in a 200-1200 page installation / admin guide is not fun, believe me.

I try to avoid bloated corporate crap as much as possible, but in this case they have a feature I cannot replace with anything even remotely similar.
                If you know of any alternative that offers comparable functionality then I'm very much open for suggestions.
                Yeah, I myself also use the obsolete package of Adobe Reader on Linux, because it is the only one allowing you to directly print a selection of a PDF file. Is also important to note that Adobe only opened a fraction of the PDF standard, having left out advanced resources that you only find on their software.

On Linux, some PDF readers may have access to the comment/notes in PDF files, like KDE's Okular. You can try some of them from a flashdrive, if you don't want to install anything yet.
                Last edited by M@GOid; 05 March 2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I guess a geek answer would be to ask everyone to edit a latex document (in vi or notepad++ etc.), hosted on svn or git.
                  Or, as Okular can put comments in a pdf, get the "collaboration" and "cloud" from git (that's what everyone is using, right?)
                  I'm joking a bit. Hum, would they have to wait for ther turn..
                  Last edited by grok; 05 March 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

I guess a geek answer would be to ask everyone to edit a latex document (in vi or notepad++ etc.), hosted on svn or git.
                    Or, as Okular can put comments in a pdf, get the "collaboration" and "cloud" from git (that's what everyone is using, right?)
                    I'm joking a bit. Hum, would they have to wait for ther turn..
                    That's a solution I have already considered, and might employ down the line, but editing DITA XMLs in npp is a lot less convenient for the development, testing and delivery teams I have to work with. There is some talk of involving them more in the documentation via git-reviews, but that's asking too much as long as it's private initiative and not company policy.
                    It's also beneficial that the reviewers can see the finished product with the company looks, and not just some bare XML.

Yeah, I myself also use the obsolete package of Adobe Reader on Linux, because it is the only one allowing you to directly print a selection of a PDF file. Is also important to note that Adobe only opened a fraction of the PDF standard, having left out advanced resources that you only find on their software.

On Linux, some PDF readers may have access to the comment/notes in PDF files, like KDE's Okular. You can try some of them from a flashdrive, if you don't want to install anything yet.
                    I will test Okular, my private desktop is already running Maui anyway, it's just a question of moving over some PDFs from my company notebook.

The problem is that we are not talking about simple commenting: even if some Linux-native PDF readers have access to that, they won't be able to join in a shared review, much less start one.
                    Adobe DC shared reviews basically create a repo for the reviewed PDF on SharePoint or your server, where they collect all comments from all reviewers... reviewers can see each other's comments, and I can directly set statuses for each comment (accepted, rejected, WIP, completed, etc.), and all of that's visible for everyone involved. The reviewers' local copy of the PDF file is kept in sync with the shared version by Adobe DC, so there's no need for emailing separate versions of the same PDF back to me.
                    Unfortunately this extremely useful functionality is naturally vendor-locked.
                    Last edited by OneBitUser; 06 March 2018, 06:21 AM.

Comment

The problem is that we are not talking about simple commenting: even if some Linux-native PDF readers have access to that, they won't be able to join in a shared review, much less start one.
                      Adobe DC shared reviews basically create a repo for the reviewed PDF on SharePoint or your server, where they collect all comments from all reviewers... reviewers can see each other's comments, and I can directly set statuses for each comment (accepted, rejected, WIP, completed, etc.), and all of that's visible for everyone involved. The reviewers' local copy of the PDF file is kept in sync with the shared version by Adobe DC, so there's no need for emailing separate versions of the same PDF back to me.
                      Unfortunately this extremely useful functionality is naturally vendor-locked.
                      Never used Adobe Reader, so can't compare, but I've been using Google Docs with friends to work on documents and it features quite advanced ways for communicate, including simple notes, advanced comments and a realtime chat. You can save the file as PDF at any time without troubles (which I did to save a copy for printing/presentation), but not sure how PDF loading is for editing, as I never used it. However I'm not sure how it fits your use case, as it's all based on cloud and browser and not a physical workflow (browser based, privacy, online access – though there's plugins allowing offline editing – etc.), although I think Google even offers some paid plans with support for companies.

Comment

Working...
                      X