Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15 Kernel Is Now The Default In Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Phoronix: Linux 4.15 Kernel Is Now The Default In Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

After sitting in Bionic-Proposed the past week, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has officially moved from the Artful Aardvark's Linux 4.13 kernel to now running on Linux 4.15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The should use 4.14-LTS. Strange that they are always hit the wall with their stupid ideas...

Comment

Originally posted by chilek View Post
      The should use 4.14-LTS. Strange that they are always hit the wall with their stupid ideas...
      Well, if you need to maintain your own kernel, it means you get paid for doing so. As a coder, I would be shooting myself in the foot if I would pick an LTS kernel. More work, better job security

Comment

Originally posted by chilek View Post
        You really think it is a stupid idea to support Vega graphics and audio over DP for Polaris? I think this is a good idea, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by J?rnS View Post

You really think it is a stupid idea to support Vega graphics and audio over DP for Polaris? I think this is a good idea, to be honest.
          There's always something new and shiny just around the corner. IMHO, for an LTS release it would have made sense to go with the latest upstream kernel LTS. Particularly so when the latest kernel LTS 4.14 which isn't that old, just a few months older than 4.15.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Well, if you need to maintain your own kernel, it means you get paid for doing so. As a coder, I would be shooting myself in the foot if I would pick an LTS kernel. More work, better job security
            Well, 18.04 is an LTS release. It makes sense to stick with an LTS kernel in an LTS release.

Yes, you make a semi-valid point, about ensuring a workload. But still, that can hardly be the real argument here. I'd facepalm if it were. Really. I'd almost consider switching distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post

There's always something new and shiny just around the corner. IMHO, for an LTS release it would have made sense to go with the latest upstream kernel LTS. Particularly so when the latest kernel LTS 4.14 which isn't that old, just a few months older than 4.15.
              It's not just something new and shiny, it is essential hardware support. I can understand Canonical, they don't want to tell Ubuntu users that they need to wait till octobre to have out-of-the-box support for their graphics card.

Comment

The typical Linux kernel LTS process doesn't seem to work as well for consumer devices (PCs, laptops, phones, etc). These typically have more aggressive/frequent hardware releases that make the LTS kernels obsolete, in terms of driver support, fairly quickly. It seems like LTS is mostly just useful for server installations and that leaves the consumer people left to either fend for themselves, using the latest available non-LTS kernels, or maintain their own branches and drivers like Android and the ARM SoC vendors have to do.

Comment

Everything what Canonical do is not wrong.

Comment

Just as I yesterday received a kernel update on my Artful install (4.13.0-36.40) which caused a hang during boot every time as soon as GRUB exits. Had to revert to 4.13.0-32.35 which is the latest kernel which works for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X