Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Community Has Brought The Unity 8 Desktop To Ubuntu 18.04

Phoronix: The Community Has Brought The Unity 8 Desktop To Ubuntu 18.04

Besides bringing Ubuntu Touch to new mobile devices, the UBports team has also managed to continue their community-driven work on advancing the Unity 8 convergence desktop after Canonical abandoned work on it last year. They now have Unity 8 working on top of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I didn't really like Mir, but Unity 8 looks nice and uses modern technologies like Qt instead of Compiz like Unity 7. Not having tried it, I don't know how it compares to my favorite desktop, Plasma, but it definitely looks more friendly to new users than GNOME 3. I hope UBports will be able to maintain it though—I imagine it's a pretty large codebase.

Comment

Unity isn't my cup of tea, but I see why people like it and I'm glad that, despite Canonical's decisions, people are still maintaining it.

Comment

If you ask me, unity desktop was the best thing that happened to linux desktop in a long long time. It was polished, fast, bugfree and never got in the way.
        May this community live long and prosper !

Comment

I really liked Unity and was looking forward to Unity8. Hopefully it will get packaged up as a snap like Canonical imagined so you could have a completely snap based system with Ubuntu Core. That would be pretty neat

Comment

Wow! I am so glad that these guys are continuing the development of Unity 8! Hopefully they will reintroduce the HUD because that thing was literally the most useful thing that has ever existed on a desktop OS (imho).

Comment

Is it me or is this unity completely different? Like with the menu. Would fans of the old unity actually prefer this?

Comment

Originally posted by matthewtrescott View Post
                I didn't really like Mir, but Unity 8 looks nice and uses modern technologies like Qt instead of Compiz like Unity 7. Not having tried it, I don't know how it compares to my favorite desktop, Plasma, but it definitely looks more friendly to new users than GNOME 3. I hope UBports will be able to maintain it though—I imagine it's a pretty large codebase.
                Let's be fair, it's not hard to beat Gnome 3...

Comment

This is very very good. I like where this is going. I also approve Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
                    Is it me or is this unity completely different? Like with the menu. Would fans of the old unity actually prefer this?
                    I personally like much more the Unity 8 menu, just because it has categories (alphabetical it seems, maybe more).

I personally always liked the Unity general design but I never used it beyond some testing in VMs because I hate Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X