Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBports Continues Working On Unity 8, Developer ISO Coming

Phoronix: UBports Continues Working On Unity 8, Developer ISO Coming

While Canonical is no longer involved in Unity 8 development, the community-driven UBports team continues working on their "Unity 8" and "Ubuntu Touch" efforts with a hope to deliver a developer ISO soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

one word: why?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
      Because it's a good alternative. You can close your mind and pre-judge if you want. Remember that if everyone had that attitude we'd still be brachiating as our primary form of locomotion.

Comment

four words: have you seen it?

Comment

I like Unity as it has less top bars. Only two compared to 3 with Firefox/Gnome for ex.

Comment

Because they can!

Comment

With Wayland support, Unity 8 is pretty good desktop. Hope that developers will continue make it better and better.

Comment

It's a very good interface for hybrid devices.

Comment

Because that's the future, where all bis OS aiming for. Microsoft failed, but they still on the way. Android is also going this way and Apple too. Convergence is the key...
                  Hardware is already that powerful, that you can easily use a Smartphone as whole PC.
                  Right now it's not designed for hardcore gamers, but for all who makes the world go round and use internet for work and consumption.

I would love, if I have my PC always in my pocket and can connect wireless to any display keyboard and mouse to use it as a full PC all around the world.
                  Why buying a huge local desktop PC, if the portable smartphone can do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    It's a very good interface for hybrid devices.
                    It's a very good interface. Full stop. We shouldn't answer this troll in any case.

I hope they can deliver a desktop version (replacing Yunit in the endeavour). Gnome is too buggy and can't deal very well with suspend/resume, screensaver/idle or an AV receiver. I deactivated everything related to screensaver (removed it entirely) and screen standby when idle (in dconf) but it's still going on standby or worse logging out anyway after 15-20 minutes inactive (frustrating when watching movies). Even with the gnome extension doing just that. It freezes on resume if I resume before turning the AV receiver on (but works in the reverse order), logs out or freezes when switching input channel on the receiver or add a second display, detects a 7" screen (the receiver one) while Unity was smart and detected the output screen linked to the receiver. GDM doesn't remember the 1st screen and launches on a screen that is off (even when you powered off on single display). I can go on and on.

I've never had any issue of that kind with Unity.

I'm growing increasingly frustrated at Gnome, as beside these issues, I am not too happy about how the workflow is thought out and implemented. I'll give it another couple of months before moving on if it still sucks as much.

Unity is a much needed addition to the DE world and I wholeheartedly welcome UBPorts' effort.

Comment

Working...
                    X