Solus 4 To Offer Experimental GNOME Wayland Session, MATE UI Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus 4 To Offer Experimental GNOME Wayland Session, MATE UI Refresh

Phoronix: Solus 4 To Offer Experimental GNOME Wayland Session, MATE UI Refresh

The Solus Linux distribution has offered up some new details this week on their upcoming Solus 4 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The more distros support wayland, the sooner nvidia will be forced to support it. Too bad ubuntu is playing chicken.

Comment

I don't care about Gnome.
      I want a really customizable desktop, like KDE.
      Wake me up when that edition of Solus arrives!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3
        I'd argue about that, but I won't, instead I'll tell you solus 4 is when the plasma desktop edition will make it's debut

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I use gnome because kde have to many bugs. May be will switch to deepin wen become popular.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            The more distros support wayland, the sooner nvidia will be forced to support it. Too bad ubuntu is playing chicken.
            I think nvidia support wayland but in their own way(EGL steams )

Comment

I was a bit wrong on the plasma edition, it us coming but not when solus 4 is being pushed out. It's not a solus 4 roadmap thing. Sorry about the wrong info [edit] it's done when it's done.
              Last edited by TheCanadianBacon; 16 February 2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                FWIW NVIDIA is one of our (multiple reasons) for rejecting Wayland at this point in time, and its currently harmful to the future interests of Budgie. Also, a great many Solus users rely extensively on X11 apps/functionality, which are either broken or not possible on Wayland at this point in time. Then add in our gamers, lack of useful XWayland, and NVIDIA.. le sigh..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCanadianBacon View Post
                  I was a bit wrong on the plasma edition, it us coming but not when solus 4 is being pushed out. It's not a solus 4 roadmap thing. Sorry about the wrong info [edit] it's done when it's done.
                  FYI: there's already a Solus Plasma Testing ISO and you can also install KDE from the Software Center (like I did).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

FYI: there's already a Solus Plasma Testing ISO and you can also install KDE from the Software Center (like I did).
                    FYI: I'm a package manager for a few packages within solus, however I tend to stick to my side of things and not necessarily what sunnyflunk does with KDE, but at least he's making progress and which partly thanks to the testing iso and the packages people are testing.
                    I tend to care for the mate packages as well as few emulator packages like visualboyadvance-m. Just saying :P

Comment

Working...
                    X