Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Policy Forming For Allowing Snaps By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Policy Forming For Allowing Snaps By Default

Steve Langasek of Canonical has laid out a draft proposal about allowing Snaps to be shipping by default with the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    only Snaps fro mstable channels,
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    as with existing Debiasn packages.

Comment

So in a nutshell, does this mean than in a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04, some apps and tools will be installed by default as snaps rather than as debs?

Comment

The people who invented it are allowing it to be used for the purposes they invented it for.

So, Canonical was against it but someone convinced them otherwise?

I don't get it...

Comment

Does Snap need more disk space?

Comment

What about appimage and flatpak support? Can they be mixed?

Comment

This could be just me but I don't like the idea of my disks list filled with squashfs loop devices. I would prefer debian package over a loop. Heck I even prefer manual install from source...

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                What about appimage and flatpak support? Can they be mixed?
                Yes. Both appimages and flatpaks work on Ubuntu too and you don't have to pledge allegiance to either of those. For each app you need, you can install it using whichever offers the best built package. By the way you can also use snaps on a number of non-ubuntu distros.

Comment

I haven't used snap yet, but I am very pleased with flatpak. There are still some quirks with themes and behavior, and hopefully those will get ironed out eventually. If snaps work as well as flatpak i welcome them on my workstation.

Comment

Snap ? The worse centralized, controlled by Canonical equivalent to flatpak ?

Comment

Working...
                    X