OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Already Shipping KDE Plasma 5.12, Mesa 18.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

A spin like Gecko Linux adds some changes on top for better desktop user experience afaik. Probably includes sorting that out for you, sort of like Ubuntu to Debian or Manjaro to Arch I suppose?
    Why didnt you remind me of gecko linux few days back. I installed antergos due to lack of bandwidth and now i am regretting.

Comment

I've updated to Plasma 5.12 on two different machines now on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and both result in all menus/toolbars/Qt applications not drawing correctly. Fonts, icons and widgets just don't get displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
        I've updated to Plasma 5.12 on two different machines now on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and both result in all menus/toolbars/Qt applications not drawing correctly. Fonts, icons and widgets just don't get displayed.
        have you tried with a fresh kde folder?

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post

have you tried with a fresh kde folder?
          Nope, I found the issue: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ivers-18-0-0-X

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            so this is 5 clicks away. Too complicated?
            He is also complaining about the fact that this is not obvious so people very well learn it the hard way (by trying to play media and see it does not play).

It would be better to have a page in the installer state clearly "default install does not have full media support because legal reasons, would you like to have full media support by enabling third party repository"

also the same for DrYak

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post
              And so is Arch, with the packages being in testing repo already two days ago and hitting extra today :P
              The difference is that SUSE and RedHat are the ones who are doing all the work together with Intel, Samsung, IBM, Oracle and so on.

Also, Arch isn't nearly as bleeding edge as Fedora Rawhide and also doesn't receive the same automatic testing as Fedora and openSUSE does.

So, really, Arch is more of a toy distribution if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

There's an option on the installer of opensuse distros to add 3rd party repos.
                It has a list of ready-to-click proposition that include Packman, and include the mandatory "it's 3rd party, we are not responsible" disclaimer.

It's a bit different than Ubuntu (in Suse it's during installation, in Ubuntu it's on first use), but it's still as much automated as it's legally possible for a US-owned company.

(Though I have to admit I haven't been doing brand-new fresh install of Tumbleweed recently, only updating the same eternal old installations. So maybe packman has been removed from the suggestion list ?)

SUSE isn't US-owned. It's owned by MicroFocus which is a British company.

Comment

Originally posted by gerry_here_to_learn View Post
                  was initially blown away by tumbleweed until i went to play a video online and nothing worked because no h.264 detected, then tried to play a video from my folder, same situaiton. looked up how to do it and you have to add repos for it. they need an installer option to add this ultra basic stuff. i know they are streict on legal matters and fair enough but thats just painful.
                  It's not openSUSE's fault if there are patents on codecs, but I can not believe people are still complaining about this. It's the first thing to do after installation and it takes a minute if you know what you're doing, it's not something you have to do every day. You only need to add the packman repository that is managed by the community, so no security issues. Obviously openSUSE can only guarantee for official things, but the community repositories are very reliable and install 3 codecs, I then prefer to manage all the multimedia packman to avoid conflicts, just select Yast "pass packages to this repository" and do all Yast.

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post

Why didnt you remind me of gecko linux few days back. I installed antergos due to lack of bandwidth and now i am regretting.
                    For Arch, I generally advise Manjaro. I've used Antergos in the past and had too many issues(was early 2016, so could be better these days). Manjaro has been fantastic, openSUSE perhaps better, but I like the Arch Wiki and AUR too much. openSUSE doesn't have much in comparable packages to AUR last I looked.

Comment

As a Linux user since 1995, having used a million distributions, Tumbleweed is hands down the highest quality rolling release there is. Perhaps not for the absolute beginner, but if you know what you want and are able to do a bit of configuration there is no competition. Especially for Plasma users.

Comment

Working...
                      X