Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Already Shipping KDE Plasma 5.12, Mesa 18.0

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Already Shipping KDE Plasma 5.12, Mesa 18.0

Maintainers of openSUSE Tumbleweed rolling-release packages continue in being very punctual with their package updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed since a while (with Plasma and X) and I only had once a problem, where I needed to rollback ( and that was caused by the Nvidia Driver). So I can say I'm happy with it and appreciate the mostly quick updates.

Comment

was initially blown away by tumbleweed until i went to play a video online and nothing worked because no h.264 detected, then tried to play a video from my folder, same situaiton. looked up how to do it and you have to add repos for it. they need an installer option to add this ultra basic stuff. i know they are streict on legal matters and fair enough but thats just painful.

Comment

The only extra repository you really need is Packman, and that for legal reason cannot be added in the installation routine. That you find it in the community repositories is already a big progress in the last few years. It was much more restricted before that. Being an american company (Novell) made the situation tricky.

Comment

And so is Arch, with the packages being in testing repo already two days ago and hitting extra today :P

Comment

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Already Shipping KDE Plasma 5.12, Mesa 18.0

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed has also already moved onto offering Mesa 18.0, which is still in the release candidate phase but will formally be out in the days ahead.
            That wording is definition of click-bait

Also 18.0 is in RC3 state right now, while 17.3 and 17.2 had six RCs... so with that trend it might be in the weeks ahead instead of days ahead

Comment

Originally posted by gerry_here_to_learn View Post
              you have to add repos for it. they need an installer option to add this ultra basic stuff.
              There's an option on the installer of opensuse distros to add 3rd party repos.
              It has a list of ready-to-click proposition that include Packman, and include the mandatory "it's 3rd party, we are not responsible" disclaimer.

It's a bit different than Ubuntu (in Suse it's during installation, in Ubuntu it's on first use), but it's still as much automated as it's legally possible for a US-owned company.

(Though I have to admit I haven't been doing brand-new fresh install of Tumbleweed recently, only updating the same eternal old installations. So maybe packman has been removed from the suggestion list ?)

Comment

was initially blown away by tumbleweed until i went to play a video online and nothing worked because no h.264 detected, then tried to play a video from my folder, same situaiton. looked up how to do it and you have to add repos for it. they need an installer option to add this ultra basic stuff. i know they are streict on legal matters and fair enough but thats just painful.
                you have to add a repo on fedora and others too. I donĀ“t know if those have a installer / gui for this, but opensuse does!

On opensuse you have to:
                Yast > software repositories > add > community-repos > packman

so this is 5 clicks away. Too complicated?
                Last edited by tomtomme; 08 February 2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

A spin like Gecko Linux adds some changes on top for better desktop user experience afaik. Probably includes sorting that out for you, sort of like Ubuntu to Debian or Manjaro to Arch I suppose?

Comment

Solus also updated Plasma to 5.12 yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                    X