OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Already Shipping KDE Plasma 5.12, Mesa 18.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

For Arch, I generally advise Manjaro. I've used Antergos in the past and had too many issues(was early 2016, so could be better these days). Manjaro has been fantastic, openSUSE perhaps better, but I like the Arch Wiki and AUR too much. openSUSE doesn't have much in comparable packages to AUR last I looked.
    Manjaro is indeed a great distribution. OpenSUSE got https://software.opensuse.org/find which is not as convenient as AUR with a wrapper but you can still find most software you could possibly need.

Comment

Originally posted by skurk View Post

Manjaro is indeed a great distribution. OpenSUSE got https://software.opensuse.org/find which is not as convenient as AUR with a wrapper but you can still find most software you could possibly need.
      Ah yeah I've used that in the past when looking into openSUSE. It didn't have a few packages that AUR had or had some outdated or multiple where it wasn't clear what one to go with. Gitkraken I think is one where you have two repos from users. I remember Docker usually being a bit behind, just involves adding a specific repo I think, but was a bit confusing/frustrating to get YaST to accept it for some reason, eventually did.

Looks like a really nice distro besides that nitpick, I'll be sure to give it a spin again in future

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

For Arch, I generally advise Manjaro. I've used Antergos in the past and had too many issues(was early 2016, so could be better these days). Manjaro has been fantastic, openSUSE perhaps better, but I like the Arch Wiki and AUR too much. openSUSE doesn't have much in comparable packages to AUR last I looked.
        No, antergos hasnt improves yet. not atleast for me. I skipped manjaro due to lack of delta updates and installed antergos because some random person on internet made me to believe that 'delta updates are well supported' but the fact is delta updates on arch are only for very few packages and arch base is unstable like anything. Sigh! switching to tumbleweed because snap + pacman fulfills 99% of my needs, can manage with building 1% of packages i need.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

the difference is that suse and redhat are the ones who are doing all the work together with intel, samsung, ibm, oracle and so on.

Also, arch isn't nearly as bleeding edge as fedora rawhide and also doesn't receive the same automatic testing as fedora and opensuse does.

So, really, arch is more of a toy distribution if you will.
          agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post

No, antergos hasnt improves yet. not atleast for me. I skipped manjaro due to lack of delta updates and installed antergos because some random person on internet made me to believe that 'delta updates are well supported' but the fact is delta updates on arch are only for very few packages and arch base is unstable like anything. Sigh! switching to tumbleweed because snap + pacman fulfills 99% of my needs, can manage with building 1% of packages i need.
            I haven't found Manjaro to be that unstable. Not going to lie, have had an issue or two in the past 18 months with Manjaro, and plenty more with Antergos. Tumbleweed is attractive, and I'd like to at some point try run it as a daily driver(or Leap 15 when it arrives), AUR is really nice though for my development and package needs :P I imagine I'll have to port some packages over at some point to fully switch.

Comment

Originally posted by skurk View Post
              As a Linux user since 1995, having used a million distributions, Tumbleweed is hands down the highest quality rolling release there is. Perhaps not for the absolute beginner, but if you know what you want and are able to do a bit of configuration there is no competition. Especially for Plasma users.
              Total no. of top distros (source:: distrowatch) = 307
              assuming distrowatch doesnt list 90%, total no of distros = 3070
              distros you claim to have tried = 1000000

= 3070 / 1000000 < 1%

You just lied sir! shame on you.

PS. i agree that tumbleweed is best rolling distro with solus (current 2nd) coming dangerously close to the throne.
              Last edited by KRiloshart; 02-09-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                He is also complaining about the fact that this is not obvious so people very well learn it the hard way (by trying to play media and see it does not play).

It would be better to have a page in the installer state clearly "default install does not have full media support because legal reasons, would you like to have full media support by enabling third party repository"

also the same for DrYak

yep that is a valid point. Obvious hints within the running system / UI is one of the points where e.g. Ubuntu/Fedora > Tumbleweed.

The online documentation however is quite good, while Arch still wins there.

Comment

as minimal rolling I prefer void to arch. As full featured rolling I have been running basically Ubuntu+1 savagely changing the repos whenever new ones are available. I just have a script that makes sure the ppas that I have installed are at whatever latest they can offer because the Ubuntu ppa cli is too dumb to figure out what version you are using

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    SUSE isn't US-owned. It's owned by MicroFocus which is a British company.
                    It used to be Novell-owned (back when problematic patented codecs got moved to Packman). Then Attachmate Group-owned (still US).
                    I hadn't followed the MicroFocus acquisition.

Comment

Working...
                    X