Fedora's Power Tweaks Dropped The Power Use On A ThinkPad By ~30%

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssam View Post

That was very true 4 or 5 years ago (when the T440 came out).

Since then Dell have upped their linux game, and Purism and System76 are growing. At the same time Thinkpads are gradually loosing the features that set them apart.

When my x230 stops working, I'm not sure the replacement will be a thinkpad.
    That is because there are 2 type of TP's on the market that Lenovo sells now.

The ones less than $1k USD, which are for the volumes, and the ones above $1k USD for the features.

The feature in TP's that I really care about is the keyboard and longevity of the hardware. My 14 year old T42 finally died when something on the planar failed and it couldn't be repaired. None of the Toshiba's, Dell's, HP's, Compaq's, I have had have lasted that long through daily use. My 2010 TP W510 still works great! My 1993 TP 720c and my 1999 TP 765XD are retired, but probably would still boot if I plugged it in as the batteries are inert.

I am running Zorin OS Lite on a cheapie Lenovo IdeaPad ($149) and the power management is actually better with kernel 4.13 (12 hours) and way better than Win 10 Home that was on it before. So I know there have been power management improvements getting into the recent updates.

Comment

Impressive!

Comment

Thinkpad e470 10h+ on xubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.13

Comment

the SATA link power thing usually saves 10-15% alone on modern Intel CPUs by allowing the package to enter lower power states: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkrYFaplso

Comment

How do these power savings compare to running Windows on the laptop? Is it now able to do similar or better power savings?

I'm shopping around for a good laptop with ThunderBolt 3 for eGPU(Intel only atm afaik), battery life is semi-important, but it'll mostly be used plugged into a wall. Not quite sure how good compatibility is with majority of laptops these days on Linux, for WiFi at least I know to get Intel, otherwise usually requires proprietary driver package to install.

Considering just an iGPU if the eGPU support is good on Linux for when I need it(not sure if it can support another display through it as that'd be via 2 GPU which requires that server-side GLVND doesn't?). if I were to get a low-end dGPU, AMD is better on linux right?(Wayland and all that, although I guess I'd get that via Intel iGPU) Have nvidia with current desktop system and I remember nvidia dGPU on my last laptop didn't play so great with Linux(this was back in 2014 though, seems quite a bit has happened since), KDE does have a few issues with nvidia sometimes compositing breaking or temporary graphical corruptions when resuming from suspend.

Originally posted by rene View Post
            the SATA link power thing usually saves 10-15% alone on modern Intel CPUs by allowing the package to enter lower power states: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkrYFaplso
            Quite a few of these are specific to Intel only not AMD? The SATA one I guess is of no help if you're using NVMe SSD in the newer laptop models too I guess?

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            so when will we be able to switch profiles for things like this? like performance mode, energy savings mode, custom mode etc.
            I'm interested in knowing this too. I've had laptop in the past that I think the distro provided some power savings optimizations by default and caused a bunch of issues. If it was an easy thing to toggle(regardless if on battery or not) I'd be all for this

Is it something that you can do with TLP or similar atm?
            Last edited by polarathene; 02-06-2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
              How do these power savings compare to running Windows on the laptop? Is it now able to do similar or better power savings?

I'm shopping around for a good laptop with ThunderBolt 3 for eGPU(Intel only atm afaik), battery life is semi-important, but it'll mostly be used plugged into a wall. Not quite sure how good compatibility is with majority of laptops these days on Linux, for WiFi at least I know to get Intel, otherwise usually requires proprietary driver package to install.

Considering just an iGPU if the eGPU support is good on Linux for when I need it(not sure if it can support another display through it as that'd be via 2 GPU which requires that server-side GLVND doesn't?). if I were to get a low-end dGPU, AMD is better on linux right?(Wayland and all that, although I guess I'd get that via Intel iGPU) Have nvidia with current desktop system and I remember nvidia dGPU on my last laptop didn't play so great with Linux(this was back in 2014 though, seems quite a bit has happened since), KDE does have a few issues with nvidia sometimes compositing breaking or temporary graphical corruptions when resuming from suspend.

Quite a few of these are specific to Intel only not AMD? The SATA one I guess is of no help if you're using NVMe SSD in the newer laptop models too I guess?

I'm interested in knowing this too. I've had laptop in the past that I think the distro provided some power savings optimizations by default and caused a bunch of issues. If it was an easy thing to toggle(regardless if on battery or not) I'd be all for this

Is it something that you can do with TLP or similar atm?
              All i could say is get a windows 10 laptop. You can switch profiles and customize profiles easily. Also GPU switching with nvidia works really well. The OS works on the iGPU and whenever i launch a game its using the dGPU automagically, or you can run it like that manually if you wish. As much as i dislike microsoft and nvidia in general, their shit just works properly. I cant say that for the linux desktop. Linux "community" likes to hate on anything nvidia thus EGLStreams and GLVND. Even though its exactly what linux desktop needs.

Comment

Qualcomm/Atheros cards have an open wifi driver that works great too.

Considering just an iGPU if the eGPU support is good on Linux for when I need it
                Don't. eGPUs on laptops are flaky even on Windows, where they are supposed to "just work".

Get a laptop with a decent iGPU for pure laptop work, and for anything requiring an actual dedicated GPU build a mini-itx system.

(not sure if it can support another display through it as that'd be via 2 GPU which requires that server-side GLVND doesn't?).
                It depends from the level of retarded at which the UEFI firmware is. In a laptop it's more likely to not let you choose the external GPU as primary so you won't be able to use it easily.

if I were to get a low-end dGPU, AMD is better on linux right?
                Again, don't. A decent AMD APU is better than any low-end dGPU, and even an i3-i7 Intel iGPU is good enough for light gaming on a laptop.

A low-end dGPU is just wasting the battery for nothing, and causing headaches when switching.

Comment

All i could say is get a windows 10 laptop.
                  For dual setups, yeah I agree with this. I still think it would be much better to have 2 PCs instead than playing games on a crappy CPU + crappy GPU with noisy fan in a portable case.

Linux "community" likes to hate on anything nvidia thus EGLStreams and GLVND. Even though its exactly what linux desktop needs.
                  No it does not lol. Linux does not need NVIDIA's own pet projects forced on everyone, that's not the reason it exists at all.

Comment

All i could say is get a windows 10 laptop. You can switch profiles and customize profiles easily. Also GPU switching with nvidia works really well. The OS works on the iGPU and whenever i launch a game its using the dGPU automagically, or you can run it like that manually if you wish. As much as i dislike microsoft and nvidia in general, their shit just works properly. I cant say that for the linux desktop. Linux "community" likes to hate on anything nvidia thus EGLStreams and GLVND. Even though its exactly what linux desktop needs.
                    All I can say is: get fucked with your corporate shilling. If you think it's a matter of unwillingness that everything is broken on non-Windows OSes, you're more stupid than you sound.

Comment

NVMe supports several different power levels. If that works on all of the actual hardware, I don't know since I've only installed them in desktop systems so far with maximum performance settings.

From my Ryzen 1700 server:
                      Code:
                      $ sudo smartctl -x /dev/nvme0n1
                      === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
                      Model Number:                       Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB
                      [...snip lots of stuff...]
                      Supported Power States
                      St Op     Max   Active     Idle   RL RT WL WT  Ent_Lat  Ex_Lat
                       0 +     6.04W       -        -    0  0  0  0        0       0
                       1 +     5.09W       -        -    1  1  1  1        0       0
                       2 +     4.08W       -        -    2  2  2  2        0       0
                       3 -   0.0400W       -        -    3  3  3  3      210    1500
                       4 -   0.0050W       -        -    4  4  4  4     2200    6000
                      Oh hey look: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...r-Savings-APST
                      Last edited by Zan Lynx; 02-07-2018, 07:45 PM. Reason: NVMe power save link

Comment

Working...
                      X