Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's Power Tweaks Dropped The Power Use On A ThinkPad By ~30%

Phoronix: Fedora's Power Tweaks Dropped The Power Use On A ThinkPad By ~30%

Over the past few months Hans de Goede of Red Hat has been focusing on Linux power improvements, in particular to extend the battery life of laptops running Fedora Linux. As indicated by his presentation this past weekend at FOSDEM 2018, he's making great strides in that effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And mostly not actually enabled because it causes issues on crappy hardware :/

Comment

Michael , do you mind running a quick idle power comparison between fed 27 and fed 28 on a laptop or perhaps one of your NUC's or MSI Cubis, say a Sandy Bridge, Haswell and Kaby lake?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        And mostly not actually enabled because it causes issues on crappy hardware :/
        You are right, unfortunately. For example USB controller in my Dell 5855 start to die (and everything attached to USB, for example LTE modem) since Linux 4.13 until I blacklisted it in tlp config. I also suspect that Bluetooth connectivity issues of Intel 8260 related to USB powersaving (or autosuspend?) but I doesn't check this theory yet (and if it's unrelated to powesaving, then driver or firmware is utterly broken, because I can't even pair a couple of Intel 8260 via Bluetooth).

Anyway, I hope eventually such issues will be ironed out, and I want to thank Hans for his hard work once again

Comment

are they still planning to adopt clear linux optimization's ?

Comment

so when will we be able to switch profiles for things like this? like performance mode, energy savings mode, custom mode etc.

Comment

And that, folks, is why you should buy T Series Thinkpads when shopping for a laptop. Developers use them. If you want a well supported laptop hardware, don't look any further.

Comment

This talk room was so full I had to listen to the livestream on the hallway

Good stuff in there

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  And that, folks, is why you should buy T Series Thinkpads when shopping for a laptop. Developers use them. If you want a well supported laptop hardware, don't look any further.
                  There is Purism and System76 that "manufacture" Linux-native laptops as well, and should be better supported by Linux OOTB. Also nice laptops as well, though never tried them because my budget for a laptop never goes beyond the 450€ mark.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    That was very true 4 or 5 years ago (when the T440 came out).

Since then Dell have upped their linux game, and Purism and System76 are growing. At the same time Thinkpads are gradually loosing the features that set them apart.

When my x230 stops working, I'm not sure the replacement will be a thinkpad.

Comment

Working...
                    X