System76's Pop!_OS Switching From GRUB To Systemd-Boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Uefi can not live in a USB memory stick, so you can not test an Uefi version of a Linux distribution when your main SSD uses MBR.
    Wrong.

When you power up the PC, press the button to enable boot selection menu, or press the button to get in UEFI settings and find the section "boot override" then select your UEFI usb stick from the list.
    It will have "UEFI" or something similar in the name.
    UEFI:Jetflash Transcend 8GB

Then it will boot a UEFI liveCD from your USB drive.

If it does not work, disable any "fast boot" feature in the UEFI setup, as "fast boot" feature usually disables USB boot for the sake of being faster to boot from Sata. Check in the Boot settings that it can see your USB drive and can boot from USB (might be disabled through a separate "boot from USB" setting).

If it still does not, your UEFI firmware is buggy.

See this tutorial for Ubuntu about how to create a UEFI-bootable USB livecd. https://askubuntu.com/questions/3958...usb-live-media

If you are on Windows, just use rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/

So "It doesn't do everything you need" is a fact. Grub is much simpler to use than uefi.
    UEFI is the motherboard firmware, GRUB is a bootloader.

UEFI is starting GRUB from the UEFI partition, and then GRUB starts your Linux Debian XFCE testing.

Any drive can have a UEFI partition with a bootloader/bootmanager like GRUB or Windows's bootloader or rEFInd or Clover or systemd-boot anything else.

Plus winvirushoover overwrites Debian efi settings in a dual boot computer when it updates.
    On my old PC where the UEFI firmware is crap and randomly resets the UEFI boot options I placed my bootloader (rEFInd) in /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

That is the default UEFI bootloader path that the UEFI firmware always looks for. Place your GRUB in there and with that name and it will work.

Comment

Working...
    X