Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Might Ship With OpenJDK 10, Transition To OpenJDK 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    6 month release cycle sounds _great_ for something as crucial and mission-critical as Java, congrats for the decision-makers.
    For those using java for something mission-critical, there is a solution in the form of commercial support for LTS (jdk8, jdk11, etc) releases. For a fee, of course. If you are doing something mission critical, you are not doing it for free and Oracle wants their cut.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      6 month release cycle sounds _great_ for something as crucial and mission-critical as Java, congrats for the decision-makers.
      It's not as big a deal as it sounds, actually... upstream Java are moving to something of a rolling-release approach anyway, so six-monthly releases will be more like the current patch-release cycle than the years worth of changes that go into major releases.

Comment

With respect to garbage collection, these are my understandings of the situation:
        - Epsilon is useful for testing, benchmarking against other garbage collectors, and for programs that execute quickly and exit before memory use becomes an issue.
        - The simplest approach to manual memory management is reference counting, and it works fine but it's slower than a well-written garbage collector. So manual memory management is not always faster.
        - If you use more sophisticated manual memory management you beat garbage collectors for speed, but you have to be more careful to avoid memory leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

proper testing sometimes need one year or two, it's way rolling releases never work like it should and breaks all the time, ex-arch linux user here
          Several year Manjaro user here, and it has been more stable than my laptop that is on ubuntu 16.04. I have a very hard time deciding will i upgrade to 18.04 or Manjaro.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

proper testing sometimes need one year or two, it's way rolling releases never work like it should and breaks all the time, ex-arch linux user here
            Manjaro has not broken for me in years, but i guess you don't call it a REAL rolling release?

Comment

Working...
            X