Clear All

• kraftman
    replied
    Here's a great article about tunning EXT3 file system:

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I give credit were credit is due with a deep understanding of the issues not based on "brand X sucks" without having a clue about the subject.
    You sound really funny :> You're just Mac OS fanboy (wait, you're dev probably) and you try to defend it. Luckily some people understand those issues and they're objective in their clues. I don't expect that Apple dev will be objective...

Maybe perhaps make your comments in a clear, concise manner that doesn't require filling in of the blanks and you will be more pleased with the answers. As it stands , you don't even seem to understand what uses mesa and what uses a optimized ICD.
    It was clear, but due to your misunderstanding it has complicated a little. I was talking about something else... Simple question: do binary blobs use mesa (NVIDIA driver especially)? I want to hear it from you and it will be great if you just say: yes or no.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    I/O limited and graphics tests don't mean much either in Phoronix test. You look like MACOS fanboy too me.
    I give credit were credit is due with a deep understanding of the issues not based on "brand X sucks" without having a clue about the subject.

Read 100x times more and maybe you will understand what I meant...
    Maybe perhaps make your comments in a clear, concise manner that doesn't require filling in of the blanks and you will be more pleased with the answers. As it stands , you don't even seem to understand what uses mesa and what uses a optimized ICD.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Some people are just ticked OS X beat ubuntu in i/o limited and graphics tests. Compilation tests don't mean much either as different libraries and options will be different on both systems. One has to compile more the other doesn't.

I/O limited and graphics tests don't mean much either in Phoronix test. You look like MACOS fanboy to me.

The blobs don't use mesa that's why.
    Read 100x times more and maybe you will understand what I meant...
    Last edited by kraftman; 23 November 2008, 11:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by unlotto View Post
    I'm confused... didn't ubuntu x86_64 win most of the tests?

Why the dissappointment with the ubuntu results, that some of the posts here express?
    The Nexuiz tests on intel graphics are not interesting to me.
    sqlite test is important. Most sane people would use noatime or relatime, which should have dramatic results.

I would love to see someone with similar/identical hardware post some PTS global links with different configurations/distros for comparison. Also, GNU/Linux is as much about choice as anything else - having the most default setup beat osx is just an added bonus.
    Some people are just ticked OS X beat ubuntu in i/o limited and graphics tests. Compilation tests don't mean much either as different libraries and options will be different on both systems. One has to compile more the other doesn't.
    Last edited by deanjo; 22 November 2008, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• unlotto
    replied
    I'm confused... didn't ubuntu x86_64 win most of the tests?

Why the dissappointment with the ubuntu results, that some of the posts here express?
    The Nexuiz tests on intel graphics are not interesting to me.
    sqlite test is important. Most sane people would use noatime or relatime, which should have dramatic results.

I would love to see someone with similar/identical hardware post some PTS global links with different configurations/distros for comparison. Also, GNU/Linux is as much about choice as anything else - having the most default setup beat osx is just an added bonus.
    Last edited by unlotto; 22 November 2008, 08:56 PM. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• Thetargos
    replied
    So, why you asked: ? If those drivers aren't using mesa? Man, you're amazing me, but it doesn't matter...
    No, they don't. They use the ICD approach, providing themselves the GL library, why do you think you have a different libGL with the nVidia and fglrx drivers? ; and the GL library usually conflicts with the Mesa library included in most systems, and distribution packages manage to keep both libraries, making the proprietary GL library visible to the applications, but not breaking the installed Mesa package.

I asked for non Apple's link, but thanks. In this case they're probably objective.
    And I provided those Granted, I know not many give the same credit to the Wikipedia, but stillf or computing topics their articles are usually very well done.

@Thetargos

Thanks for this exhaustive comment .
    You are welcome... It took me some three hours to post (as I wanted to make sure all my info was right )

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    So, why you asked: ? If those drivers aren't using mesa? Man, you're amazing me, but it doesn't matter...
    The blobs don't use mesa that's why.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    That is the only area where I even mentioned OS X being better.
    You didn't mentioned in that comment what area you were talking about and that's why I replied (sic!).

Testing 2 non-Mesa drivers against each other in different OS doesn't prove squat when it comes to finding out if Mesa is the limiting factor or not.
    So, why you asked:
    Why do you think blobs bypass MUCH of X
    ? If those drivers aren't using mesa? Man, you're amazing me, but it doesn't matter...

I asked for non Apple's link, but thanks. In this case they're probably objective.

@Thetargos

Thanks for this exhaustive comment .

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
    PS Sorry for the long post.
    No need to apologize +10 on the post. You hit the key points right on the head.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X