OpenSUSE Leap 15 Beta Snapshots Begin, Powered By Linux 4.14 + Plasma 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droste View Post
    Just use the "System tray" software update widget.
    Mavman asked for a way to do upgrades to new Leap releases, not updates of a specific release.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
      are they going to backport DC?
      Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
        Anyone knows if it's finally getting a GUI for upgrades (something similar to Ubuntu)?
        openSUSE has Gnome Software which incorporates that functionality since ages but for whatever reason SUSE developers decided not to utilize it, so no.

Comment

Do you know if it is possible to have the packman repository?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Mavman asked for a way to do upgrades to new Leap releases, not updates of a specific release.
            He mentioned that it would be great for tumbleweed too, which is a rolling release spin of openSUSE. So there's no specific release to update to. That's what my answer is for and why my answer contains the word "tumbleweed" ;-)

Comment

Can't you just do the upgrade from YAST? I can either use zypper on the command line or YAST to do any updates to Tumbleweed. Haven't ever installed Leap though, so I'm not sure about the upgrade process.

I would not use the systray software updater with KDE or the Gnome Software updater for Tumbleweed. Lots of reports of broken systems going that route.

Comment

Just use the "System tray" software update widget.

I've always used this. I don't think I've ever done a "zypper dup" for tumbleweed.
                Not sure what it's called in English, but it's the little arrowin a circle pointing upwards.
                Probably "software updates" or something like this in the system tray settings.

Yes, but conflict resolution and certain packages require root.

For tumbleweed - and i explained myself badly as sh*t - whout be good to be able to set it to automatically update itself, unless conflict resolution REALLY requires intervention.

Speaking of it... how do you handle conflicts and certain packages from Discover? In my pc there are certain packages that only get updated if i'm root...

Comment

openSUSE has Gnome Software which incorporates that functionality since ages but for whatever reason SUSE developers decided not to utilize it, so no.
                  Well... yes... Discover, AFAIK also has something like that. I think the problem is that it's not adapted to Zypper.

I don't understand what's actually the big deal about adapting this to a GUI, but there certainly are requests for it from some YEARS already... maybe they don't want to provide to much User Friendliness...

Comment

He mentioned that it would be great for tumbleweed too, which is a rolling release spin of openSUSE. So there's no specific release to update to. That's what my answer is for and why my answer contains the word "tumbleweed" ;-)
                    Actually, i think (correct me if i'm wrong) that every tumbleweed patch is kind of an upgrade to a *new version*...

but i might be wrong about it

Comment

Yes and no. Every time a snapshot is created there's a "openSUSE-release" package that gets an updated version and some other files like /etc/lsb-release are updated. But it's just a normal update of this package. You just get more or less daily updates of packages.

The only time this doesn't work if you have conflicts. Then you have to fire up yast or the console and run zypper.

/edit:
                      I should mention that openSUSE says you should update tumbleweed with "zypper dup" because of the rare cases of conflicts. But if you know what you're doing you survive without

/edit again:
                      Just saw your other post regarding conflict resolution and root:
                      The plasma software update thingy never actually asked me for a root password and updated everything where new packages were available and if there's a conflict it will just not update the package.
                      Conflicts rarely happen on my installation and when they do, I go to the console and use zypper to resolve them. Might be worse if you have a lot of non official repositories.
                      Last edited by droste; 02 February 2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X