OpenSUSE Leap 15 Beta Snapshots Begin, Powered By Linux 4.14 + Plasma 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Leap 15 Beta Snapshots Begin, Powered By Linux 4.14 + Plasma 5.12

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap 15 Beta Snapshots Begin, Powered By Linux 4.14 + Plasma 5.12

The first public beta snapshots have begun for openSUSE Leap 15, the distribution that will be mirroring SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 that is under development for release this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am very curious and happy that in a few months I will update my Leap to version 15. I think it will be a great release! Plasma 5 is now mature and many bugs have been fixed, combined with openSUSE which historically is a rock is really exciting ... But I think I will install the beta to help openSUSE and report bugs.

Comment

No 4.15? Or are they going to backport DC?

Comment

Anyone knows if it's finally getting a GUI for upgrades (something similar to Ubuntu)?

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
          Anyone knows if it's finally getting a GUI for upgrades (something similar to Ubuntu)?
          Are you referring to the version update system? It does not seem to work well in Ubuntu, 50% of the time you need to re-install. In openSUSE you can use a DVD or USB media to update. the data should be safe in the / home partition.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
            No 4.15? Or are they going to backport DC?
            That was my first thought as well!

I do understand, that they want a LTS-Kernel to run their SLED. However, having functional AMDGPU DC would be very essential for a Desktop OS.
            So hoping, they are backporting AMDGPU DC to their 4.14 kernel or still considering 4.15+.
            Last edited by rgloor; 31 January 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Are you referring to the version update system? It does not seem to work well in Ubuntu, 50% of the time you need to re-install. In openSUSE you can use a DVD or USB media to update. the data should be safe in the / home partition.
              Well... ok... but in openSUSE i've been doing it for a few years and never had problems.

I just want, Instead of having to get to Terminal and hit it with a "Zypper dup", to have graphical, easy way of upgrading the distro (e.g.:42.3->15.0).

This, for tumbleweed would also be great!!! Instead of having to get to the terminal almost daily it could auto-update itself!!! (i would deal with what ever could came out of it)

Comment

They have a mistake in article. According to package in repository, linux kernel is 4.12, not the LTS 4.14: http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...po/oss/x86_64/

Confirmed by info from SLE-Beta https://www.suse.com/betaprogram/sle-beta/

Comment

If you look in changelog in theirs kernel 4.12, you can see a lot of fixes for ALSA, some backports for Intel DRM, lot of backports for sata drivers, nvme, network. I cannot find any backports for AMD drm in theirs changelog

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

Well... ok... but in openSUSE i've been doing it for a few years and never had problems.

I just want, Instead of having to get to Terminal and hit it with a "Zypper dup", to have graphical, easy way of upgrading the distro (e.g.:42.3->15.0).

This, for tumbleweed would also be great!!! Instead of having to get to the terminal almost daily it could auto-update itself!!! (i would deal with what ever could came out of it)
                    Just use the "System tray" software update widget.

I've always used this. I don't think I've ever done a "zypper dup" for tumbleweed.
                    Not sure what it's called in English, but it's the little arrowin a circle pointing upwards.
                    Probably "software updates" or something like this in the system tray settings.

Comment

Working...
                    X