Canonical Once Again Aiming To Improve Ubuntu's Boot Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leipero View Post

How could you speed up firmware? The only thing I've tried is "fast boot" and it does help, but not as much..., for loader i get it, not sure of hidden timeout from GRUB is counted or not.

Normal boot (GRUB timeout 1 sec):
    Code:
    Startup finished in 10.053s (firmware) + 1.547s (loader) + 1.684s (kernel) + 1.810s (userspace) = 15.096s
    graphical.target reached after 1.756s in userspace
    Fast boot enabled (GRUB timeout 1 sec):
    Code:
    Startup finished in 9.169s (firmware) + 1.312s (loader) + 1.580s (kernel) + 1.884s (userspace) = 13.946s
    graphical.target reached after 1.831s in userspace
    As you can see, benefit of "fast boot" is not enough to justify using it in my case, especially if component such as USB or PS/2 init is disabled, you can't even enter the UEFI. I was lucky that by using efibootmgr and changing boot order UEFI would detect change and disable "fast boot" temporary so I could enter UEFI and disable the damn thing lol. So for anyone willing to try "fast boot" or equivalent, that trick might not work for you, be sure you saved profile because you might end up reseting UEFI with jampers at worst case.
    Yes my UEFI fastboot boots faster, but it disables keyboard input in systemd-boot menu, which isn't useful. There's also a 1 second delay in the boot menu. I've tried booting directly and it's really fast. Especially with Alpine Linux and openbox or some other light DM. Possibly around 5 seconds total.

Comment

I'm on 17.04 and I don't boot very often.

$ systemd-analyze
      Startup finished in 5.671s (kernel) + 5.067s (userspace) = 10.739s

That is good enough i think.

Comment

With or without a SSD ?
        Past 9 years, with a HDD in SATA and today with a SSD ?

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
          windows boots pretty fast these days (on shiny new machines).
          Since Windows 8, there is a feature called "Fast startup" (don't confuse with "Fast boot"), enabled by default. It is like hibernating the kernel at shutdown, but this feature has counterpart.

Linux doesn't need such feature. Just run
          Code:
          systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg
          and look at the picture to find bottlenecks.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
            Since Windows 8, there is a feature called "Fast startup" (don't confuse with "Fast boot"), enabled by default. It is like hibernating the kernel at shutdown, but this feature has counterpart.

Linux doesn't need such feature. Just run
            Code:
            systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg
            and look at the picture to find bottlenecks.
            Not just kernel, also significant parts of userland. It basically just logs everyone out and persists state on rest. Seems to be faster than normal hibernation

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

I want to build a new machine, but those gpu prices and ram prices have screwed that idea..... f*** cryptominers ruining hardware prices!
              No, f you for being so ignorant you point the finger at entrepreneurs instead of megacorporations like nvidia and amd for not ramping up production to meet demand.

Comment

May main machine is an i7 with an SSD running Ubuntu 16.04. I only reboot after a system hang, which happens regularly if I play games (Intel graphics drivers leave much to be desired). That's because
                Code:
                $ systemd-analyze time
                Startup finished in 6.438s (kernel) + 3min 528ms (userspace) = 3min 6.966s
                Ouch.

Comment

caligula Then it seems your firmware is just faster, there's really nothing we (with slower firmware) can do about it.

nanonyme True, that's why when you reboot Windows 10 you see the real bootup speed, and it's terrible..., basically you can boot Windows 7 two times while Windows 10 boots up, or XP 6+ times. I'm talking about HDD ofc., while Ubuntu (16.04) generally boots in between Windows 7 and Windows 10, a bit slower than Win 7, but faster compared to Win 10.

Comment

From reading comments I guess firmware plays a big role on boot times. On my work laptop i3 form 2013 I get this on xubuntu.
                    Startup finished in 2.502s (kernel) + 8.842s (userspace) = 11.345s
                    I don't have access to my home pc with older hardware but it does boot in under 10 seconds. Would that be because of firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
                      From reading comments I guess firmware plays a big role on boot times. On my work laptop i3 form 2013 I get this on xubuntu.

I don't have access to my home pc with older hardware but it does boot in under 10 seconds. Would that be because of firmware?
                      Your line doesn't display firmware time. It probably uses legacy BIOS boot. That means the actual time is longer.

Comment

Working...
                      X