Ubuntu Preparing Kernel Updates With IBRS/IBPB For Spectre Mitigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Preparing Kernel Updates With IBRS/IBPB For Spectre Mitigation

Phoronix: Ubuntu Preparing Kernel Updates With IBRS/IBPB For Spectre Mitigation

Canonical has rolled out Spectre Variant One and Spectre Variant Two mitigation to their proposed repository with updated kernels for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS / 16.04 LTS / 17.10. These kernels with IBRS and IBPB added in will be sent down as stable release updates next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why does it take so long for Canonical to roll out the fixes when RedHat and SUSE have the them available within a day or two after disclosure?

Comment

Because it is not serious distribution.

Comment

How looks performance drops on AMD platforms like Ryzen between IBRS/IBPB vs Reptoline? I'm afraid that due to crappy Intel's CPUs AMD users will notice much higher performance drop than required.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
          I think it's the ratio of middle managers to code monkeys... but anywho.

You'll be happy to hear that after literally HUNDREDS of users beotched about it, Ubuntu has decided to keep desktop icons in 18.04 Gnome. See how easy it was for the "community" to have a say in the matter? Not like pulling teeth at all.

Glad I don't work there.
          I think they're glad you don't work there, either.
          As am I...

Comment

Originally posted by FirstPersonBSOD View Post
            Why does it take so long for Canonical to roll out the fixes when RedHat and SUSE have the them available within a day or two after disclosure?
            AIUI, both Red Hat and SUSE had to pull the updates due to faulty microcode.

Comment

Working...
            X