No announcement yet.

Arch Linux vs. Antergos vs. Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet goodness.. thanks Michael love your work I'm hoping your distro performance comparison reviews eventually nudge the relative distros to look more at their out of box performance (by that I mean Redhat/CentOS as that is mainly my flavour heh)

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post

He did do some benchmarks of clear on an AMD cpu some time ago. There were still some improvements to be seen.
      That's good, was there a comparison to Intel, just curious how much of a difference in perf from baseline there was on AMD vs Intel? I'd prefer an AMD system and Clear sounds pretty interesting to run for compute work, either as a host or container.

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Clear can run on AMD hardware, e.g.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could do some new benchmarks if there is enough interest from supporters...
      That first one in March 2017 is a bit disappointing(and some what the 2nd in Sep 2017) Seems Clear performed worse than other distros, opposite of what is seen on Intel hardware? The tumbleweed results are interesting/good though Will have to look at Intel clear/tumbleweed results perhaps.

It'd have been interesting to see how benchmarks like postgres would have done without the file system difference impacting it like cited(as well as interesting to see if the file systems used were what contributed to it's perf gains over other distros). I thought that openSUSE defaults for BTRFS have some database volumes setup to avoid perf drawbacks? Maybe postgres wasn't accounted for or postgres wasn't using the correct file location/volume that would have been tweaked(Depending how postgres was installed/setup and if it was supported like mariadb and I think virtualbox are)

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Clear sounds pretty interesting to run for compute work, either as a host or container.
        docker run -it clearlinux/machine-learning

and there you go

Comment

Michael,

​​​​​Would it be possible to throw solus in the mix.
          That is the readily consumable distro that borrows clear linux's optimizations. That would make other desktop distros relate more to the optimizations maybe?

Comment

Yes, you finally add Arch Linux in your benchmark! Thank you, Michael. I hope you enjoy the installation process.

Comment

Nice to know. Sites rarely include Arch in comparisons. Thanks

Comment

Clear Linux Spanks Again!

Everybody gets to bend over, even Arch. It's just a matter of how many lashes....
                Last edited by vegabook; 18 January 2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
                  One of the reasons people use Archlinux, is because Archlinux can easily install customized kernel. For example, try "yaourt -S linux-ck" and choose Processor = Native, wait for build and install, and everything is done.
                  You can do exactly the same on Antergos.

Apart from that, i'd like to know if Arch Linux was "brought up" to the same usability Antergos has. (Or maybe i completely misunderstood the reasoning behind testing Arch Linux "without Anything")
                  Where the Benchmarks on Antergos run, while on the Gnome-Shell?
                  Having used both (and run benchmarks on both), i have to admit those are rather interesting results, at least to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nexusband View Post

Apart from that, i'd like to know if Arch Linux was "brought up" to the same usability Antergos has. (Or maybe i completely misunderstood the reasoning behind testing Arch Linux "without Anything")
                    Where the Benchmarks on Antergos run, while on the Gnome-Shell?
                    Having used both (and run benchmarks on both), i have to admit those are rather interesting results, at least to me.
                    As someone who has also used, I agree. These benchmarks don't make any sense unless the DE, Gnome-Shell, is draining some resources.

Antergos is Arch with an easy installer + pre-installed apps. In theory you can turn Antergos into vanilla Arch by just removing a repo and uninstalling the default software. In fact, there is a script that does this.

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

docker run -it clearlinux/machine-learning

and there you go
                      I was asking how it compared in performance on AMD vs Intel. from previous benchmarks, on AMD, clear performed poorly compared to other distros.

Comment

Working...
                      X