Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux vs. Antergos vs. Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu Benchmarks

Phoronix: Arch Linux vs. Antergos vs. Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu Benchmarks

Last week when sharing the results of tweaking Ubuntu 17.10 to try to make it run as fast as Clear Linux, it didn't take long for Phoronix readers to share their opinions on Arch Linux and the request for some optimized Arch Linux benchmarks against Clear Linux. Here are some results of that testing so far in carrying out a clean Arch Linux build with some basic optimizations compared to using Antergos Minimal out-of-the-box, Ubuntu Server, and Clear Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems to me that distributing binaries with intermediate languages that are then compiled to machine code at install time is a good way to distribute portable software and yet take advantage of all the fancy instructions your CPU can pro

Android pretty much does this.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      compares to Antergous Minimal out-of-the-box,

Comment

Thanks for throwing my personal favorite Arch into the mix. It's nice to see that it's at least not way way behind Clear Linux in the benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          It seems to me that distributing binaries with intermediate languages that are then compiled to machine code at install time is a good way to distribute portable software and yet take advantage of all the fancy instructions your CPU can pro

Android pretty much does this.
          Throw in a garbage collector and on-the-fly optimizations and you've got Java.

Of course, not the same, but I would love to see someone who hates Java support this like it's somehow revolutionary

Android uses a mix of Java bytecode (compiled from Java or Kotlin, IIRC) and native code that can be included and I know you can set different targets to it, but idk if they're compiled and shipped inside the apk or if there's some intermediate step on the phone (I would guess not, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was).

​​​​​
          Last edited by andrebrait; 17 January 2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Throw in a garbage collector and on-the-fly optimizations and you've got Java.

Of course, not the same, but I would love to see someone who hates Java support this like it's somehow revolutionary
            That would be pretty funny

Comment

How many optimizations in Clear apply to Intel hardware only? Do AMD CPUs benefit just as much?(I guess comparing benches from Clear and some other baseline like Ubuntu or Arch/Antergos would communicate that?)

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                How many optimizations in Clear apply to Intel hardware only? Do AMD CPUs benefit just as much?(I guess comparing benches from Clear and some other baseline like Ubuntu or Arch/Antergos would communicate that?)
                He did do some benchmarks of clear on an AMD cpu some time ago. There were still some improvements to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  Clear can run on AMD hardware, e.g.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could do some new benchmarks if there is enough interest from supporters...
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

One of the reasons people use Archlinux, is because Archlinux can easily install customized kernel. For example, try "yaourt -S linux-ck" and choose Processor = Native, wait for build and install, and everything is done.

Comment

Working...
                    X