Clear Linux Rolls Out KPTI Page Isolation & Retpoline Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    What's your definition of a "high performance CPU"?
    Old Pentium 4 CPUs are affected. I'd hardly call these high performance. They weren't even high performance when they came out.
    I'm not looking at "Only the CPUs with the highest prim95 score at launch" I'm talking about "any modern CPU design that actually has speculative prefetching and similar optimizations". Hell, the Pentium Pro from '95 had speculative prefetching but current RISC-V designs haven't gotten there.

RISC-V does have an implementation. Namely, RISC-V Rocket. That one was not affected by Spectre or Meltdown.
    Because the RISC-V Rocket doesn't support speculative prefetching.... as I said, RISC-V isn't done yet and that is the only reason it wasn't affected. As a result of that and other design limitations the Rocket's relative performance is shit compared to other recent cores; ARM cores get 2x-3x the dmips/core/MHz of the higher end BOOM configuration and I don't want to imagine how far behind POWER/x86 that is.

Doesn't matter that there aren't commercial implementations, yet. Clearly, the architecture itself can be considered a fairly modern ISA and was not affected.
    Modern as in "new design" not modern as in "high performance design". Besides, just because the vuln was found before they ever made a CPU with speculative prefectching (which is planned) does not mean RISC-V did anything right in their design it means they hadn't got that far. Like I said, the 2024 Mustang has yet to have a single engine failure!

Don't get me wrong RISC-V is neat as hell and on a great track towards being a high performance open CPU but it is by no means that right now and not being affected by the current vuln because they hadn't designed the feature yet is in no way a win for it to to be touting around.
    Last edited by zamadatix; 09 January 2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      x86 is beginning to feel like a legacy shit architecture.
      It's been a legacy shit architecture for at least 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Yet those architecture changes to speed things up are now a threat vector and the changes both software, firmware and architecturally negate a lot of those speed ups. Once again....AMD at least for Meltdown and Ryzen made architecture choices that hurt their performance against Intel but they saw the potential threat vector and decided against doing that just to score higher in perf or for marketing purposes. Intel...well....
        AMD is not so clever either. They provided the wrong documentation to Microsoft, which resulted in bootloops: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/09/mi...t-amd-devices/

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          AMD is not so clever either. They provided the wrong documentation to Microsoft, which resulted in bootloops: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/09/mi...t-amd-devices/
          And if Microsoft didn't outsource their QA to the general public they would've caught it earlier in testing

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            I'll take that statement with a grain of salt as it's still coming from MS themselves.

Not that I think AMD is innocent, afaik their chipsets are still made/designed by Asmedia so I'm sure they are full of weird quirks not even the designers are fully aware of.

Although I don't know what MS means with "chipsets" in their statement.

Comment

Working...
            X