Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 1.3 Audio Codec Reaches Beta

Phoronix: Opus 1.3 Audio Codec Reaches Beta

The Opus open-source, royalty-free audio codec designed for interactive speech and music over the Internet is working on its version 1.3 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lack of coffee:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    improvements to the VAD and speeh/music classification
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Thos wishing to learn more

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Lack of coffee:

Severe lack of coffee, check back in a few hours to see why
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

He Micheal, mind testing compression performance between versions? Or would you think the difference is negligible?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Severe lack of coffee, check back in a few hours to see why
          Thanks for your work Michael! Take some time to enjoy Christmas please!

Incidentally, Youtube is a pretty big user of the opus codecs for the audio streams in many videos.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Thanks for your work Michael! Take some time to enjoy Christmas please!

Incidentally, Youtube is a pretty big user of the opus codecs for the audio streams in many videos.
            Christmas for me = running end of year benchmarks while drinking some tasty beer :P
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I discovered only recently that Opus has no support for Replaygain and instead has an integrated equivalent system, but incompatible and confusing. I was pretty enthusiastic about Opus before, but I’ll have to keep using Vorbis.

Comment

I've never had good luck with replaygain. I have too much of a variety of music for it to actually behave properly. Without replaygain, music that is too quiet is either mastered that way (classical) or was not ripped properly. With replaygain I have differences as high at -11dB for something that has the proper volume.
                Last edited by profoundWHALE; 22 December 2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Opus is a really great codec to my taste. It gives amazing sound quality even at modest bitrates like 64kbps.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                    I discovered only recently that Opus has no support for Replaygain and instead has an integrated equivalent system, but incompatible and confusing. I was pretty enthusiastic about Opus before, but I’ll have to keep using Vorbis.
                    That explains why replaygain didn't ever work. Thanks for the mention.

Comment

Working...
                    X