KDE Calligra 3.1 Preparing For Release In Early 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> I'm a 10 years KDE/KDESC and Plasma user

Last time you wrote "since my switch to manjaro i'm using wayland on all of my machines (gnome)". As if nobody was going to notice anything.
    Last edited by Nth_man; 20 December 2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Urg, I feel like it's the worst. Words totally doesn't feel like a word processor

Calligra is more like the unwanted step child since Krita was separated out. Or rather it highlights just how unloved it was when they were all in the same suite
      Calligra is the one office suite that ever had the potential to take on MS Office because it's a frame based suite rather than document based which has a lot of advantages as a paradigm. Problem is everyone lined up behind Sun's Open Office because Sun was pushing it, and so Calligra withered on the vine, and now the suite is mostly dead. Everything else (and particularly LibreOffice) has just chased Microsoft's tail, with the only practical advantage being that they don't cost anything.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Just like the whole KDE projekt. Once a big, shiny project, now they stuck in the past - while gnome moves on as defacto "linux desktop". I'm a 10 years KDE/KDESC and Plasma user but I have to actknowledge that Gnome is years(!) ahead of KDE Plasma.
        Years ahead in what? It's exactly opposite, pal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Years ahead in what? It's exactly opposite, pal.
          don't you get the impression these gnome trolls have the mentality of a 12 year old... I have yet to see what fun they are deriving from trolling.

Comment

The foundations of Calligra are the most advanced and the most well built for the future comparing it to other open projects. The real problem is lack of features due to lack of manpower.

It's a sad story...

But its good to see devs don't quit from it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Urg, I feel like it's the worst. Words totally doesn't feel like a word processor

Calligra is more like the unwanted step child since Krita was separated out. Or rather it highlights just how unloved it was when they were all in the same suite
              I don't feel like it's the worst, but I do feel like it's far from being the best. They have a lot to improve still before I'd even consider it (I did try it briefly in the (early) KDE 4 days but it was even worse back then).

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Calligra is the one office suite that ever had the potential to take on MS Office because it's a frame based suite rather than document based which has a lot of advantages as a paradigm.
                So is Apple's office suite, but guess who has the bigger market share on macOS? So that doesn't say anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
                  The foundations of Calligra are the most advanced and the most well built for the future comparing it to other open projects. The real problem is lack of features due to lack of manpower.

It's a sad story...

But its good to see devs don't quit from it!!!
                  I'm pretty sure that OnlyOffice has a very advanced foundation as well for an open source office suite.

Comment

It was exciting when Nokia took it under its wing, it's probably still the best library for doing things with microsoft and opendoc formats - but the interface needs serious polish

I used to use Koffice over OpenOffice back in the day

Comment

As a long-time Plasma user, I'll give it a spin when released. I'll use it if it becomes the right tool for the job, but I have to assume there's a reason that even high-profile KDE distros ship Libre Office by default. I do like having an office suite though, as opposed to many who happily type rudimentary docs in [Google's] cloud.

Comment

Working...
                      X