No announcement yet.

Otter RC3 Released As The Browser Inspired By Opera 12 & Implemented Using Qt5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otter RC3 Released As The Browser Inspired By Opera 12 & Implemented Using Qt5

Phoronix: Otter RC3 Released As The Browser Inspired By Opera 12 & Implemented Using Qt5

At the end of 2013 we wrote about a new Qt5 web-browser inspired by Opera and in 2014 it entered alpha form. But since then we hadn't heard much of that browser, Otter, until a Phoronix reader brought it up in our forums today...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...er-Browser-RC3

When Opera switched to new design, I have tried to use Otter while still in Alpha, since there were no other alternatives to Opera 12. Qupzilla was the only user-oriented browser at the time. In the meantime, Opera became really powerful browser, Vivaldi is also great, and even Firefox is quite useful. So I'm not sure if there is space left for Otter, since it is much smaller project and missing lot of features

On the otter hand, it is open-source, so I will for follow its development

Comment

Would be nice to see what it looks like running under Plamsa or LXQt

Comment

Qt WebEngine is being used to power the browser itself.
        According to your screenshots it was legacy QtWebkit, not QtWebEngine.
        Preferred choice is revived QtWebKit available in our AppImage (package for RC 3 is not ready yet due to testing of configuration that can support both OpenSSL 1.0 and 1.1).

@Space Beer, what exact features?

@FireBurn, Breeze with non standard palette and Oxygen window decoration:
        https://otter-browser.org/tmp/breeze.jpg

Comment

Probably the most capable browser with native wayland support. Thank you Emdek!

I went back to Firefox when I figured out how to enable Xwayland (my home computer has broken X). I think it was youtube support I was missing. Might give it another try – that was in 2015.
          Last edited by andreano; 12-06-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I tried few months ago, and I must say it has nothing in common with opera 12.

Comment

I've been using the daily ppa off and on but just removed it altogether since it was super sluggish on certain pages and isn't supported with most google services. I don't know, I sort of just like having my browser work, especially when accessing really important (e.g. governmental) websites where compatibility matters. Also, good luck getting the qtwebengine version to work on Ubuntu LTS.

Comment

@mir3x, it's not a clone, world moved forward during last five years.

@molecule-eye, switch to AppImage, Ubuntu is one of the last distributions to still ship extremely outdated QtWebKit (their is four years old), others already switched to new version.

Sadly it still requires OpenSSL 1.0 to be present, they really should properly abstract it away into plugin like other stuff (and official support for stuff like LibreSSL too).

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
                  @Space Beer, what exact features?
                  I can compare Otter only to Vivaldi, Firefox, Edge and Chrome, since current Opera is the most powerful browser in my opinion and without real alternatives, at least for my needs.

I am testing Windows version 0.9.93 RC3

The feature I need the most, is good bookmark management. In Otter, I can't create folder, delete or move page in Bookmarks bar directly, but have to go through "Manage bookmarks" page. Speed dial is good, just as it should be. But bookmarks in both bar and speed dial, don't show page content in the icon. In speed dial, they are blank, in bar, there is the same blue icon for all. So they differ only in names.
                  3rd party addons are missing. To me, that is not so important, since built-in ad-block/privacy options are good. But I'm sure it is something users will look for.

Otter performance is not so great. I don't know how to explain this, but it doesn't look so smooth.

I can't login to Phoronix forum and some other services (e.g. Simplenote)
                  Spell-check toggle is not working.
                  One thing I don't like is that when the download starts, it automatically switches to download tab

The best Otter feature, something other browsers don't have, is private tab, not just window. Good old Opera 12 I also like "search with other engines" option in right-click menu. That one does not exist in Firefox or Chrome. I also like option to drag bookmark bar below or above address bar, or make it vertical.

So, it looks promising. It might become the best open-source browser, since it has some nice features Firefox and Qupzilla are missing (Chromium is the crappiest browser in my opinion). But also, there is still lot of work to be done. I will try to translate some strings, since that's the only thing I could do

I would for sure rather use Otter than Chrome (or Chromium). But at this moment, Vivaldi might be better a choice as a user-oriented browser, and Firefox better open-source browser, though it depends on user's requirements
                  Last edited by Space Beer; 12-07-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
                    I can compare Otter only to Vivaldi, Firefox, Edge and Chrome, since current Opera is the most powerful browser in my opinion and without real alternatives, at least for my needs.
                    Agreed. Current Opera is the best, hands down.

Comment

Working...
                    X