CrossOver 17.0 Released, Lets You Run Microsoft Office 2016 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by papajo View Post
    if what you said was at least 50% true people would stop paying 100++++ $ to use office and would start using the free libreoffice since only an idiot would pay to get inferior service that can easily be found elsewhere for free (And you dont even have to jumb to linux to have libreoffice)
    Please note I am truthful. More features create a harder learning curve. The miss alignment of features also creates issues.

Last but not least even in cases where we see great adoption of libre office (like in the municipality of munich) we now see that they decide to drop it as well as linux because of the many issues, issues I suspect are mostly caused because of libreoffice which is the no1 software they use in their line of work and less because of other parts related to linux..
    There was a formal review done of Munich. Nothing you wrote lines up with it.
    https://www.ris-muenchen.de/RII/RII/...GE/4027760.pdf
    Yes this in german get it translated. The formal report did not recommend fully returning to Windows. The formal report found that a lot of the issue with documents also happen in places they support using MS Office. So a percentage of document failure is normal just for some reason when the Office suite is not MS office people are more likely to be upset with the software. Its the defacto standard effect since they believe everyone is using that office suite everyone else has to be suffering from the same problem so don't complain. So libreoffice you are more likely to hear about document issues.

Formal report documents major management issues. Also if you get the formal report before Munich migrated to Linux when they were running Windows it lists the same set of management issues. So in all this time Munich management is just as big of disaster. So if they return to Microsoft Windows without fixing this give it a few years and they will be in the same location now with cannot afford to upgrade.

Notice that Munich recent vote was to return to Windows the vote did not approve budget to buy MS Office in mass. Volume of MS Office licenses will be decided next year but you can expect it not to be 1 to 1.

Malaysian Government runs a lot bigger system based around Linux and Libreoffice than what Munich is and they don't have the issues Munich had. There are many governments around the world who primary Office suite is Libreoffice. MS Office sits in secondary roles normally provided by terminal services. This is not the model Munich used.

Going 100 percent to Libreoffice normal leaves you without ability to check if document you are sending else where is ok for those using feature poorer MS Office also leaves you with the areas where MS Office has a unique feature or two trouble.

The one area where Libreoffice is truly superior to MS Office 2016 is opening legacy formats. Heck MS Office 2016 will not allow you to directly open a Office 2003 document.

National archives around the world are choosing LibreOffice form of ODF for long term storage because due to Libreoffice massive number of features you can import old MS Office documents and keep over 98% of thefeatures they had and use a currently maintained application to view them.

The reality is the best solution at the moment is not choose MS Office or Libreoffice outright. Instead choose both and use them where they are most suitable. Like long term organisational manuals are better done in Libreoffice writer where you do have master documents and other highly useful features that MS Office does not have any more and long term support for opening in the future.

There is a old saying if you have a hammer everything starts looking like a nail. Libreoffice like it or not is superior to Microsoft Office for particular usage cases but instead of using Libreoffice for those cases people use the hammer Microsoft Office they know. Reverse can be true as well..

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/...crosoft_Office

Do note this link above was one of the first things I showed. If you had visited what it shows is Libreoffice does have some advantages. It also does have some disadvantages.

I would love to see a Feature Comparison table done with all the Office suite options so we can have proper informed choosing.

papajo you can in presuming you had valid point of view but you are insanely bias. You presume Libreoffice Calc cannot perform that is not the case Libreoffice Calc using its opencl mode is way faster than excel without needing to change the spreadsheet. Interesting enough Libreoffice Calc keeps up with Excel when you put in a multi threaded software opencl implementation for Libreoffice to use. So what is wrong with Libreoffice Calc performance is not guess work the engine needs to be made multi-thread instead of single threaded when there is no opencl.

Libreoffice 6.0 or 6.1 should have full multi-threading in Calc.

Libreoffice 6.0 on Android picks up ability to create new documents that was not possible until it could be validated that documents created on Android version of Libreoffice would be compatible with the non Android versions..

This brings us to a very interesting difference. You can have MS office 2016 on Mac, Windows and Android create a document on each then swap. If you use particular features watch each machine render the document wrong after you have swapped the host OS. Microsoft Office suffers from a huge number of issues due to lack of quality control. Libreoffice has been slowing getting a few things due to the development overhead of quality control. Everything comes at a price.

Comment

Originally posted by dcrdev View Post

> MS Office has become industry standard for whatever reason [...]
      A standard has to be public, known by all, etc. but Windows and Office are privative, closed programs, treated like secrets.

They are not standards, they are just dominating programs.
      Last edited by Nth_man; 12-15-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

if what you said was at least 50% true people would stop paying 100++++ $ to use office and would start using the free libreoffice since only an idiot would pay to get inferior service that can easily be found elsewhere for free (And you dont even have to jumb to linux to have libreoffice)
        You're forgetting that price is not the only metric. A lot of people simply don't want to change, or at least not change too much (i.e. it's okay if Windows changes their UX, as long as it's still like the old Windows in certain areas). Those people resisting change are willing to either fork out the money or look for a pirated version.

Last but not least even in cases where we see great adoption of libre office (like in the municipality of munich) we now see that they decide to drop it as well as linux because of the many issues, issues I suspect are mostly caused because of libreoffice which is the no1 software they use in their line of work and less because of other parts related to linux.
        Funny you say that: the French ministry of Education advises schools to use LibreOffice, and that's actually what French schools do.

I my self face problems frequently every month some I can fix with workarounds some I can not fix thats the bottom line...
        Certain you can elaborate on the matter.

Comment

Hooray! We got immensely off track discussing whether or not MS Office is necessary. Ask your HR or your CFO and their subordinates if it's necessary, after they get done staring at you like you have three heads that are arguing with each other, they'll tell you they can't do without it.

In the meantime, Crossover was on sale over at Wccftech, so I bought a license. You plug the code into the trial edition to register it. I'm using it from the BIN version under ARCH Linux, and it appears to be able to install packages using pacman (Arch's default package manager) quite nicely for its dependencies.

That being said, it does not JUST work. WINE has the support for WINEPREFIX, which allows you to do multiple different "installs" of Windows to represent different versions and installs, each with their own C:\ drive as a directory. Crossover refers to these as bottles. It appears that you have to set hardware graphics acceleration (such as for games) by checking the "Performance Enhanced Graphics" on a per bottle basis, otherwise software rendering is used via MESA (I think).

I also bought an Office 365 Personal subscription from Microsoft. You cannot get an Office key or a download from this. I had them refund it and purchased Office 2016 (they also assured me that people wanted Office under Linux and they were working on it for some reason). By using the office key and https://setup.office.com/ I was able to select to download an IMG file, which is actually an ISO file. I mounted that on the loopback and attempted an install. The attempt was quite streamlined in that Crossover downloaded and installed all the fonts, the .NET frameworks necessary, and the MSXML6 library, but the MS Office installer then fails and says that something went wrong and it cannot install, then quits out.

Additionally it appears that they only attempt to install as a 32-bit Windows 7 executable right now. Maybe a better "recipe" will be released later that works for me, but for right now this doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
          X