Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lolren View Post
    Meanwhile:
    It is impossible for an simple user to make a desktop shortcut in KDE!
    Unresponsive when heavy workload (updates)!
    Task manager is confusing when coming from windows!
    Making desktop shortcut should be easy, Plasma got more love in that area since 5.10 and 5.11. You were probably on something older or bad distro for KDE?

Responsiveness really depends on what system you have and if anything is hammering it. If it's I/O(disk) related, try an I/O scheduler like BFQ, it's designed for desktop users to give responsiveness even when you have I/O heavy tasks going on. Manjaro provides this by default, but blk-mq has BFQ support mainlined, I hear there was some regression since kernel 4.13(it arrived in 4.12), but those would be resolved by 4.15. You could also try CPU scheduler MuQSS with custom kernel which is another scheduler designed to improve desktop user experience

Not sure what was confusing about the task manager? Care to share? looked pretty familiar and usable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
      Haven't used KDE since plasma. The frequent crashes weren't worth it. I wonder how is it now?
      It's been pretty stable for several years. All major changes to DEs have a rough start; GNOME 3 was no different. It's just that GNOME (being overall simpler) was patched up quicker. It took KDE4 a year or two after its release to become practical for everyday use.

Originally posted by ipsirc View Post
      Bullshit! Which Desktop Environment hasn't these goals? Is KDE is the only one who want to do better user experience, and is it alone in DE world with "privacy is important" slogan?
      In case you're not aware, KDE has been known for not making stability and security top priorities. Obviously everyone cares about those things, but KDE devs would often go into tangents with other applications where many of them never quite felt fully complete. Thanks to the transition to Qt5 and Wayland, it seems many KDE devs were forced to maintain existing projects rather than to continue adding yet another feature. IMO, most (but not all) things that haven't been transitioned to Qt5 were good examples of these "tangential developments". I think KDE would probably be in rough shape if it weren't for Qt5 and Wayland.

All that being said, KDE is still my favorite environment and improvements are noticeable after every major release.

Comment

Originally posted by ipsirc View Post

Bullshit! Which Desktop Environment hasn't these goals? Is KDE is the only one who want to do better user experience, and is it alone in DE world with "privacy is important" slogan?
        KDE is actually the one which DOES better when comes to user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          This is more a Linux issue. Anything will lag like hell if the system is doing much read-write activity on a slower media. Newer governors like BFQ and Kyber help a lot.
          This Windows issue as well.

Comment

This is probably too low-level and not really in their control, but still...

I wish Qt would get an update to C++11/14 and be rid of its proprietary preprocessor nonsense. There's a lot to be gained from such an update. Without it, Qt is growing ever more archaic and foreign to modern C++ programmers.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              This is probably too low-level and not really in their control, but still...

I wish Qt would get an update to C++11/14 and be rid of its proprietary preprocessor nonsense. There's a lot to be gained from such an update. Without it, Qt is growing ever more archaic and foreign to modern C++ programmers.
              C++11 is minimum for Qt. And the recommended way of using signals and slots now is using member-function pointers or lambdas.

connect(object, &MyObject::signal, []() { qDebug() << "signal fired"; });

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                C++11 is minimum for Qt. And the recommended way of using signals and slots now is using member-function pointers or lambdas.

connect(object, &MyObject::signal, []() { qDebug() << "signal fired"; });
                Glad to hear it. It's been a couple years since I last wrote anything in Qt - and that was using the version on SLE, which is never the latest.

Comment

Working...
                X