No announcement yet.

Mozilla's WebRender Making Good Progress, Can Be Tested On Firefox Nightly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That'd be fine, but why did Firefox (Mobile) go ahead and cache it? When it hadn't cached it all those other times it had downloaded fully?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      Interesting. I run Firefox and Chrome with EFF Privacy Badger against the benchmarks on browserbench.org every few months, and Firefox wins big in one, loses by a tiny margin in two, and loses big in one.
      A possible explanation is that uBlock Origin is an adblocker that nukes everything on its big blacklists, main site or third party.

Privacy Badger is not an adblocker, but a privacy guard that works only on third-party tracking. It locks only third party stuff it finds is actually tracking you. Or so it says on its webpage.

I think this means Privacy Badger has less work to do than uBlock origin, so it's normal that it has less impact on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
        That'd be fine, but why did Firefox (Mobile) go ahead and cache it? When it hadn't cached it all those other times it had downloaded fully?
        I'm unsure of what you are asking here so I may not be answering your question.

Mobile is all about conserving power and 3G/4G modem connection is power-intensive, and also must take into account shitty connection speeds due to bad signal reception (you are in a building, in a fast-ish moving vehicle, and so on), overcrowding the same "cell" (the antennas serving 3G/4G in an area).

So they cache like crazy, because cache (either RAM or flash) is faster and less power-intensive than waking up the modem from sleep to send/receive stuff.

As others said, the failure to update the cache is actually a server/site issue. Decent websites provide versioned assets, so the browser can know beforehand if it needs to pull stuff out of cache or download again.

EDIT: also the overwhelming majority of mobile connections have a very low GB quota, that's another big reason to cache like crazy.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 27 November 2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post

Firefox nightly just got CSD easily selectable from "Customize" menu (it's still a bit ugly with most themes but it will improve):
          Yes, I've read about this. It doesn't work on Ubuntu yet though.
          Hopefully it ships soon.

Comment

Doing this right is going to require attention to privacy and fingerprinting issues. The use of GPU rendering in the canvas drawing API is a notorious method of cookieless tracking, forcing many users both to use a canvas blocker/randomizer and to turn off GPU acceleration. To make this not trackable would require that the server be able to render content with GPU acceleration, but not be able to send any of that content nor a hash of it (etc) back to the server so that the slightly different results of different GPUs and drivers could not be tracked and logged.

Thus it is my hope that Mozilla will ensure that Webrender cannot be used to create anything that can be returned back to the website server, and to make this the default for all users so blocking a return of information is not itself uncommon and thus fingerprintable. When the US government's prosecutors say (in the Inauguration protest cases) that visiting a website can be grounds for conspiracy charges, this is really fsck'ing important!

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
              Hard to say but my guess is that the corrupted file is smaller so it lasts longer in cache under space pressure.

Comment

Waiting on the next generation of desktop apps using web technologies powered by Webrender

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
                  So we'll finally get GPU rendering by default on Linux?
                  You are already getting that to varying degree, bunch of stuff is already accelerated unless your card/driver is blacklisted due to bugs (which won't change).
                  Webrenderer just goes extra steps making almost everything being drawn on GPU (I think no browser have figured out how to do fonts without rasterizing just yet).

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
                    Waiting on the next generation of desktop apps using web technologies powered by Webrender
                    Gonna be a while, most apps and even mobile browsers still use archaic versions of webkit and gecko (even firefox on mobile is nowhere comparable to firefox on desktop).

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                      You are already getting that to varying degree, bunch of stuff is already accelerated unless your card/driver is blacklisted due to bugs (which won't change).
                      Webrenderer just goes extra steps making almost everything being drawn on GPU (I think no browser have figured out how to do fonts without rasterizing just yet).
                      I don't think this is true on Linux or rather all drivers are blacklisted on Linux. See this bug report:
                      [Tracking bug] [Linux] Turn on OpenGL accelerated layers by default for at least some subset of hardware

Comment

Working...
                      X