• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by commit list
    libport: Fix typo in rintf.
    What an irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniperfox47 View Post

What do your GPU flips have to do with dynarecing? Because of how dynarecing works it's not something that you can really massively parallelize. A dynarec is going to run entirely on your CPU.

​​​​​​As for other people's questions, the Wine ARM support is useful for 4 reasons:
      1) For pumping Wine through Qemu to run x86 Win32 apps on ARM devices
      2) For running older ARM Win32 apps meant for Windows CE.
      3) For running newer ARM Win32 apps meant for "Windows 10 on ARM" devices.
      4) For a Future where Wine may support UWP apps, and needs to be able to understand ARM binaries.
      GPU matters because if binary translation ever be used, will be for pc games only and nothing else. I also have friends it this department that completely agree with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post
        They would have to emulate x86
        *facepalm* You should look up what 'WINE' stands for before commenting again next time.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Windows also runs on ARM (and did support MIPS and Alpha at a time). x86 Emulation is part of Windows 10 (or will be, dont follow MS endeavors closely).
          Who cares about Windows on ARM? The userbase is really marginal there. If isn't Android or iDevice, it's invisible to the majority of the world.

I think Wine developers drank too much of their beverage and got too drunk. The progress of the Wine project is laughable. I reckon to be unable to even make a 0.000000001% of their goals, but I would have expected a lot more progress after all these years.

Jokes aside: Wine project is heavily underfunded. I think it's OK to use Wine as a workaround until these apps can become native someday (even by using reverse engineering, like ScummVM does), but it has too many holes in fundamental stuff (the shell output is full of FIXMES and such every time I try to run a Windoze app in Wine). I consider Codeweavers isn't capable of make the project reach it's potential and even go beyond that. I think Wine could even evolve as a way to reverse engineer Windows drivers and software if joined to an interactive dissassembler (radare2 isn't the only option, and they also use a license to be able to make proprietary addons...).

I think Wine should also be serious about security, able to "jail" it of the rest of the system. Hell, I even consider every distro should "jail" every security critical or proprietary software by default too.

I think reverse engineering may be a "touchy" topic, but it must be a right to have computing freedom. From file formats, hardware drivers, networking protocols, file systems and an endless of possibilities.

I think Cider and Wine should be taken more in consideration and be a tool not only as a workaround, but be part of the ultimate "Computing Freedom Army"

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

It wasn't AIX playing politics so much as Intel shipping Pentium I.
            According to our IBM rep at the time, customer feedback was that they would rather deal with Windows straight up than through a host OS like OS/2 Warp. So it didn't matter what the POWER team did by that time or Intel. The world had already moved on and from that time forward IBM stopped pinging us for alternatives and started working with us on the NT release. We did a massive platform bakeoff for new hardware to support NT not long after. A lot of names that don't exist anymore. Parallan, Digital Alpha, IBM, Compaq, NCR just to name a few. The Alpha screamed, but 3rd party application & tools support was a challenge.

Back in those days Linux was a relative babe in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Who cares about Windows on ARM? The userbase is really marginal there. If isn't Android or iDevice, it's invisible to the majority of the world.
              I imagine, it would be nice to be able to run x86 Windows games straight up in Wine on an ARM laptop. I've seen somewhere in winehq a documentation for how to make it working with QEMU. There was also a remark on some QEMU bug, hopefully nowadays it's fixed.

I think Wine developers drank too much of their beverage and got too drunk. The progress of the Wine project is laughable. I reckon to be unable to even make a 0.000000001% of their goals, but I would have expected a lot more progress after all these years.

Jokes aside: Wine project is heavily underfunded. I think it's OK to use Wine as a workaround until these apps can become native someday (even by using reverse engineering, like ScummVM does), but it has too many holes in fundamental stuff (the shell output is full of FIXMES and such every time I try to run a Windoze app in Wine). I consider Codeweavers isn't capable of make the project reach it's potential and even go beyond that. I think Wine could even evolve as a way to reverse engineer Windows drivers and software if joined to an interactive dissassembler (radare2 isn't the only option, and they also use a license to be able to make proprietary addons...).
              There's also a problem that WINE is using… C89! Holy crap! This obviously doesn't help to development very much, this is, like, last public software in the world that using such ancient standard! Even linux kernel is using a modified version of C standard — GNU C.

I think Wine should also be serious about security, able to "jail" it of the rest of the system. Hell, I even consider every distro should "jail" every security critical or proprietary software by default too.
              I think they shouldn't. This is the job of AppArmor, let's not duplicate the work.

Comment

After the year of Windows ARM Edition, and the following Year of "Linux on Desktop", you will eat your words! (Just make sure you don't starve until then)
                Seriously though, the emulation part is not the responsibility of Wine(other than knowing the ISA good enough to hook into it), just reuse qemu for that.

Run your stuff in a chroot or docker/LXC container, why is Wine a special case that would need to build their own "jail"?

Comment

Bigger news is that Sarnex's Wine PPA now has Wine-Staging with Gallium Nine support. After installing wine-d3d9-staging, I was pleasantly surprised that it works very well. I haven't touched Gallium-Nine is over a year due to the only version I could find was regular Wine. Wine-Staging offers far more compatibility with games over regular Wine. Along with Padoka PPA which had finally fixed an issue where installing it would remove nearly every app from the system, I'm actually getting pretty decent results. Project Cars for example does run on regular Wine-Staging but is less than 1 fps. If you switch it to DX9 with -dx9 when you launch the game, it forces the game in DX9 mode which dramatically speeds up the game. But it actually has graphic glitches and isn't as fast as it should. Lots of stutters and fps drops. When I activate Gallium Nine, the frame rate is butter smooth and the glitches are gone. Which is weird cause why would Gallium-Nine fix glitches unless CSMT on Wine is still buggy?

DX11 support is still terrible on Wine and when it does work it's unusable. What we need is a Gallium 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    Bigger news is that Sarnex's Wine PPA now has Wine-Staging with Gallium Nine support. After installing wine-d3d9-staging, I was pleasantly surprised that it works very well. I haven't touched Gallium-Nine is over a year due to the only version I could find was regular Wine. Wine-Staging offers far more compatibility with games over regular Wine. Along with Padoka PPA which had finally fixed an issue where installing it would remove nearly every app from the system, I'm actually getting pretty decent results. Project Cars for example does run on regular Wine-Staging but is less than 1 fps. If you switch it to DX9 with -dx9 when you launch the game, it forces the game in DX9 mode which dramatically speeds up the game. But it actually has graphic glitches and isn't as fast as it should. Lots of stutters and fps drops. When I activate Gallium Nine, the frame rate is butter smooth and the glitches are gone. Which is weird cause why would Gallium-Nine fix glitches unless CSMT on Wine is still buggy?
                    Yeah, not only CSMT, but DX→OpenGL translation in general seems to be buggy. GTAⅣ both with and without CSMT almost always crashes for me for loading the world. However for using GTAⅣ with Gallium Nine I never had a single crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                      Yeah, not only CSMT, but DX→OpenGL translation in general seems to be buggy. GTAⅣ both with and without CSMT almost always crashes for me for loading the world. However for using GTAⅣ with Gallium Nine I never had a single crash.
                      I'm certainly going to be doing more testing to see how Gallium-Nine stacks up against regular CSMT Wine-Staging. These ARM64 optimizations have no real world use other than expanding the market for CrossOver on Android. DX11 support is extremely slow going.

Comment

Working...
                      X