No announcement yet.

Unity 7 Hoping To Become An Official Flavor For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read about why canonical did unity in the first place, before saying they should just upstream patches to GNOME......

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a

No freaking way could a Gnome Shell window manager ever replace Compiz. Mutter does not and probably never will match Compiz's awesomeness. The only project that could be called a Compiz replacement is obviously KWin.
      You're right. Mutter is tuned to the specific needs of GNOME and is not as powerful or extensible as Compiz.
      But Compiz is dead.
      Compiz is built on X11, the new world is Wayland.
      The Compiz codebase is complex, have few if any contributors and is pretty dead. Not much development going on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

There are still problems with Gnome. Gnome Shell suffers from memory leaks (Ubuntu 17.10 confirmed) and when you launch LibreOffice there's ugly panel on top and wasted space.
        GNOME is customizable. You can get rid of the top panel.
        There are extensions such as dash-to-dock and dash-to-panel.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

GNOME is customizable. You can get rid of the top panel.
          There are extensions such as dash-to-dock and dash-to-panel.
          I'd prefer global menu in this case.

Comment

I prefer Mate for home use, but I had to use Unity in work. In the beginning I didn't like it, because it was different, but after significantly decreasing the side bar size; I found it very productive when working with dual monitors.

Generally, it's a shame that there are so many different developers trying to maintain so many different graphic shells. It would be better if all these devs were working on the same project and focus implementing a configurable base on which they can develop different themes.

Comment

I like Unity 7 and Unity 8 was looking really good.

I personally use KDE now though so don't care much.

Comment

I was sad for Unity going away, but now that I'm using Plasma I can't believe I hadn't tried it before. It's definitely my favorite DE ever.
                i really wish i could use kde as a main driver but it reacts very badlt with office and wine.

Comment

dont. Its ok to let die technologies that arent being worked on anymore (like unity 7 and compiz) and that are a huge code mess and wont be ported to wayland and needs special gtk packages. Its painful to say goodbye to a good desktop like U7 but its obsolete so it has to die.

That would also be a less desktop to be supported by software makers.

Comment

Fortunately I'm very happy as always with LibreOffice and I don't really have to use any Windows software. But does KDE behave differently to other environments for MSOffice/Wine in your systems?
                    cant move or resize windows

Comment

Working...
                    X