No announcement yet.

Unity 7 Hoping To Become An Official Flavor For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea. Now I know what distro I chose in next year For now Ubuntu 17.10 with Unity installed but with Ubuntu 18.04 I chose Ubuntu Unity Remix for sure.

Comment

I wasn't a gnome fan nor a user - what I knew of gnome was v 2. something, so ubuntu gnome..it was a pain the first hour, I had so many questions I had to google but now..
      it's very powerful and I don't understand the ugly comments, more ugly than unity ?
      unity is practically equally ugly just with a stupid bar on the side I hated even more than mac's dock thingy.

Windows's grouping and task bar is something I must say I absolutely find easy to work and live with and whats wrong with doing that... add the lovely gnome stuff beside that and I'd be a very happy camper.

but on topic again... unity gave me more headaches than anything else so I do not understand the enthusiasm really.

Comment

The majority of Unity was implemented in Gnome in a couple of months. A wiser use of their efforts would be to simply implement the remaining Unity features in Gnome and push those changes upstream. Seriously, the only things that Unity does and Gnome doesn't are the global menus, the blur effect, and the trash bin on the side bar. Is there anything else? I bet you implementing those features in Gnome is far lass work then creating a Unity flavor.

Comment

Holding my thumbs up for this flavour

Comment

Personally, i really dislike gnome3 and i really like what they did to make gnome3 look like unity (in a really short time). The search function of gnome3 has been working well enough for while. For my office, i will wait a bit to upgrade. I will still miss the hud, and the alternative that works on gnome apps seems good enough, but i am more interrested to have it for all the apps but gnome's apps... I think like others, theor efforts should be to push their changes implementing unity's features into gnome. But gnome.might again not want, and we might get screwed.

Comment

I just cant belive what folks here say. You cant just say what community should do. If one works on something for free one does it because he/she wishes to.
              if i was working on e.g. unity you cant just say what should i should spend my free time on.

Comment

What is status of touchscreen/tablet support of gnome 3? Unity does it great, even better than windows in some cases

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  No thanks. Its time for Unity 7 and Compiz to just die. Now there is GNOME Shell with the Unity extension to supersede that.
                  There are still problems with Gnome. Gnome Shell suffers from memory leaks (Ubuntu 17.10 confirmed) and when you launch LibreOffice there's ugly panel on top and wasted space.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    The majority of Unity was implemented in Gnome in a couple of months. A wiser use of their efforts would be to simply implement the remaining Unity features in Gnome and push those changes upstream. Seriously, the only things that Unity does and Gnome doesn't are the global menus, the blur effect, and the trash bin on the side bar. Is there anything else? I bet you implementing those features in Gnome is far lass work then creating a Unity flavor.
                    There's no way Gnome developers which are interface nazis with NIH syndrome will accept usability patches.

Comment

This effort is about the Unity 7 desktop and not the Unity 8 convergent desktop

There is no unity in Unity! It sounds like doublespeak from Orwell's 1984 :-)

AIUI, the Ubuntu Phone converged apps were written in QML, so the Unity 8 work fits better with the Plasma Mobile project.

For Unity 7 I agree with sarmad, the project will gain more support and users if it implements remaining features in Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                      X