LibreOffice Calc Is Finally Being Threaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
    Only Calc? I find LibreOffice to be slow when moving around large shapes or photos, or when you have a lot of them in a presentation file. I wonder if that's due to a lack of multithreading...
    I just tried it on my Fedora 27 laptop. I made a LibreOffice Write document with several 10 MB images, resized to fit on the pages, and moved them around. Now, this was only three pages so it may not reflect your document, but it seemed quite snappy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I'll bite: bug report?
      Didn't filed one, I will wait for an update, probably some issue with qt/kde/Manjaro or Java 9

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Or go!! Either way modern languages would do the open source world a lot of good. We might even see relatively bug free software.
        fixed.

Because Swift is Apple/Linux/BSD only, you Apple tool.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Or Swift!! Either way modern languages would do the open source world a lot of good. We might even see relatively bug free software.
          Maybe something not backed by Satan would be better...

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
            I'm not up to par with how and why they implemented OpenCL first but given my experience with GPGPU I find that curious. OpenCL should be harder to implement than regular multi-threading, specially if using OpenMP. I don't know why they chose to go with OpenCL first.
            Thank AMD for this; back when AMD introduced it's first apu's and couldn't come close to competing with Intel's processors, they tried to market their apu's as "12 core" (4 cpu "cores" and 8 gpu "cores") and there was a big push in promoting apps that used Open CL. As part of this push AMD modified some apps to use Open CL as part of their HSA initiative, one of these apps was LibreOffice's Calc.

So you see, it wasn't LibreOffice devs that went the OCL route first, it was AMD devs.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

What values are you using or would you recommend? I have 16 GB of RAM.
              Default settings currently are 190 Mb for LibreOffice, with 12 Mb per object. You could try 200 / 15.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: LibreOffice Calc Is Finally Being Threaded

While LibreOffice Calc for a while now has been offering OpenCL support for speeding up spreadsheet computations, with not all drivers/GPUs supporting OpenCL, this Microsoft Office alternative is finally receiving proper multi-threading support...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Calc-Threading
                Do you know if the threading support made it in for 6.0?

Comment

Seems like the development is focusing on a performance issue while the program has a driveability issue. Any time there’s a 100% CPU core load the program becomes unresponsive and you can’t do any basic operations.

OK, the car is slow, but let’s not have it stop dead in traffic.

Frustration makes the wine taste sweetest, the truth most bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by WSmart View Post
                    Seems like the development is focusing on a performance issue while the program has a driveability issue. Any time there’s a 100% CPU core load the program becomes unresponsive and you can’t do any basic operations.

OK, the car is slow, but let’s not have it stop dead in traffic.
                    Being multi-threaded would help that too (if the 100% CPU comes from LibreOffice too)
                    Programs using a single thread are susceptible to freezing if something takes too much to calculate as they are executed sequentially.

If the program is multithreaded you can keep different operations on different threads, so that even if a thread hangs or takes a while to get back with a result the others will still proceed independently.

Similarly to what Firefox did recently, decoupling the user interface thread from the site rendering one, so if site rendering hangs you won't freeze the whole program interface too.

If the issue is that CPU at 100% due to other programs slows down Libreoffice, then it's an OS issue. Afaik Linux has pretty good CPU schedulers, even if your CPU is at 100% programs won't freeze (within reason anyway), while on Windows this is an issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X