Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphany 3.27.2 Improves GNOME Web Apps, Firefox Sync

Phoronix: Epiphany 3.27.2 Improves GNOME Web Apps, Firefox Sync

Epiphany 3.27.2 is now available as the latest web browser release in the road to next year's GNOME 3.28 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish they made it possible to browse YouTube with Gnome Web...

Comment

Gnome Web is a total Flop like Gnome Polari is.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
        I think it's google breaking old browsers and stuff on purpose. Gnome Web might be vulnerable to that as you need to upgrade the entire OS to get a newer version.
        yea I think they break their sites e.g. new google maps was super slow, so that they gain Chrome users.
        This fall/autumn, they're punishing tor browser users.

Comment

what i dont get is, why the Gnome Devs didnt/dont use Google Blink rather than Apples Webkit2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            what i dont get is, why the Gnome Devs didnt/dont use Google Blink rather than Apples Webkit2 ?
            Webkit is a smaller and more contained engine that is better designed to be embedded, already has high quality bindings with platform integration, and they already have a relationship with Apple. Moving to Chromium would be an insane amount of work and be harder to maintain.

Originally posted by Modu
            WebkitGtk has experimental support for MSE, just needs a bit more testing and polish as I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

Webkit is a smaller and more contained engine that is better designed to be embedded, already has high quality bindings with platform integration, and they already have a relationship with Apple. Moving to Chromium would be an insane amount of work and be harder to maintain.

WebkitGtk has experimental support for MSE, just needs a bit more testing and polish as I understand it.
              ohh okz thanks for the input Ting. so saying that, i take it Epiphany/Gnome Web will never really be Feature Complete like Chrome/Chromium ?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

ohh okz thanks for the input Ting. so saying that, i take it Epiphany/Gnome Web will never really be Feature Complete like Chrome/Chromium ?
                Honestly that is a safe assumption.

Comment

The one time I tried chromium, resizing the window left black shadows. The same thing happened under Opera so I'm blaming chromium x11 support. Resizing epiphany windows is however very fluid. I think webkigtk+ works better under gtk+. I just can't open too many epiphany tabs because my system currently only has 8GB of memory. I use epiphany for certain things like irccloud, etc... where I need to keep certain websites open for prolonged periods since the memory usage per website/tab is stable.

Comment

Working...
                  X