CrossOver Now Lets You Run Windows Apps On Chrome OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm aware; that doesn't answer my question.

Except the ARM version of Wine doesn't run x86 binaries, for the reason you just mentioned - it's not an emulator, and therefore does not emulate x86:

But CrossOver is more than just a repackaged Wine, and I am unaware of any applications in ChromeOS that are architecture-specific. It wouldn't surprise me if ChromeOS itself is actually within an emulator, much like how Android is. So, depending how the OS and CrossOver are set up, it's still unclear if all ChromeOS-based devices will support x86 applications; it is possible none of them will, too.
    Android has the native SDK, which allows architecture specific applications. The ChromeOS Android runtime also has the NDK, which means an x86 system can run x86 Android programs with the NDK and it can run the universal architecture programs but cannot run an ARM NDK program, thats why some Android games do not work on ChromeOS, they use the ARM NDK.
    Since CrossOver uses the x86 NDK, it will run on an x86 ChromeBook, and run x86 Windows programs, but can never run on an ARM ChromeBook or phone or tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
      Android has the native SDK, which allows architecture specific applications. The ChromeOS Android runtime also has the NDK, which means an x86 system can run x86 Android programs with the NDK and it can run the universal architecture programs but cannot run an ARM NDK program, thats why some Android games do not work on ChromeOS, they use the ARM NDK.
      Since CrossOver uses the x86 NDK, it will run on an x86 ChromeBook, and run x86 Windows programs, but can never run on an ARM ChromeBook or phone or tablet.
      Cool - thanks for the detailed explanation.

Comment

I thought I'd throw in my two bits:

This isn't WINE for ChromeOS as advertised. It's Crossover for Android and it happens to work ok in the Chromebook ART on a handful of supported x86 models.

ChromeOS itself is not supported. The vast majority of Chromebooks are not supported. The vast majority of x86 Chromebooks are not supported.

Michael the article's title is wrong, and the article you wrote is wrong.

WINE has been available for ChromeOS using Crouton/Xiwi for years, and supports all x86 Chromebooks and yes even (slowly on) ARM Chromebooks if you run WINE in QEMU's application mode.

Hurray for WINE on Android. But this is fake news when it comes to ChromeOS.
        Last edited by linuxgeex; 10 November 2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
          I thought I'd throw in my two bits:

This isn't WINE for ChromeOS as advertised. It's Crossover for Android and it happens to work ok in the Chromebook ART on a handful of supported x86 models.

ChromeOS itself is not supported. The vast majority of Chromebooks are not supported. The vast majority of x86 Chromebooks are not supported.

Michael the article's title is wrong, and the article you wrote is wrong.

WINE has been available for ChromeOS using Crouton/Xiwi for years, and supports all x86 Chromebooks and yes even (slowly on) ARM Chromebooks if you run WINE in QEMU's application mode.

Hurray for WINE on Android. But this is fake news when it comes to ChromeOS.
          You're usage of the word "fake news" is laughable; in the real world, we call that "misinformation".

Anyway, in Michael's defence, the name of the app is "CrossOver on Chrome OS Beta"

As well, straight from the description in the google play store:
          The CrossOver on Chrome OS Beta, which allows you to run Windows software on Intel-based Chromebooks. is now open to the public as of November 7, 2017. Seamlessly run full- featured Windows software that is not available in the Google Play store alongside mobile apps. Run Windows utility software like Quicken and Microsoft Office, or DirectX games, like Wizard101. Get rid of remote sessions and multiple devices! With CrossOver Chrome OS Beta you’ll only need one device to run your Windows programs and mobile apps. For a limited time, this beta includes free support.
          As well, Crouton is a much different way of running Wine, while this approach is to use Android NDK to run it instead.

Comment

... I am unaware of any applications in ChromeOS that are architecture-specific...
            Yes, because ChromeOS applications are basically web-sites written in JavaScript, which isn't architecture-specific. Or, they can use PNaCl or NaCl (deprecated now), or some other technology, which doesn't make application architecture specific.

Still, this won't make architecture specific applications to work in ChromeOS on different architectures. So, for examle, M$ office written for x86 or AMD64 won't run on ARM.

... It wouldn't surprise me if ChromeOS itself is actually within an emulator, much like how Android is...
            NO. Android isn't emulator. Applications are built in Java, which makes them runnable on different architectures. Applications can use native code, but these applications have to be built for each architecture. User doesn't know that, because google play store makes sure, that correct version is installed.

Both, ChromeOS and Android, just use non-architecture-specific technologies to build their applications. Or, applications with native code are build for each architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
              You're usage of the word "fake news" is laughable; in the real world, we call that "misinformation".
              Laughable?

Well... I agree the article Michael posted is highly mis-informational.

And my humorous use of "fake news" is a Donald Trump reference.

So yeah I guess it is pretty laughable.

Anyway, in Michael's defence, the name of the app is "CrossOver on Chrome OS Beta"
              Speaking of laughable... your defense of Michael's title is ... well... where exactly is the "defense" in your statement? All you did was point out the factually inaccurate words he chose for the title of the article...

As well, straight from the description in the google play store:
              Laughably you can't find anything to support your "defense" within Michael's article itself, so you go to a 3rd party site which actually disagrees with Michael's article by clearly pointing out that Crossover is not running on ChromeOS at all, but on ART / x86 Android NDK.

As well, Crouton is a much different way of running Wine, while this approach is to use Android NDK to run it instead.
              Hmm... let's see... that's the difference between running Crossover in the Android RunTime security context, and running Crossover in the Crouton security context... neither of which is running it on ChromeOS but both of which are running it directly on the ChromeOS custom Linux Kernel... which I think is exactly what I was pointing out to begin with.

So... it's been a laugh.

Thanks for your complete agreement...?

Comment

Laughable?

Well... I agree the article Michael posted is highly mis-informational.

And my humorous use of "fake news" is a Donald Trump reference.

So yeah I guess it is pretty laughable.
                Speaking of laughable... your defense of Michael's title is ... well... where exactly is the "defense" in your statement? All you did was point out the factually inaccurate words he chose for the title of the article...
                Laughably you can't find anything to support your "defense" within Michael's article itself, so you go to a 3rd party site which actually disagrees with Michael's article by clearly pointing out that Crossover is not running on ChromeOS at all, but on ART / x86 Android NDK.
                Hmm... let's see... that's the difference between running Crossover in the Android RunTime security context, and running Crossover in the Crouton security context... neither of which is running it on ChromeOS but both of which are running it directly on the ChromeOS custom Linux Kernel... which I think is exactly what I was pointing out to begin with.

So... it's been a laugh.

Thanks for your complete agreement...?

Well regardless how you look at it, the Michael just quoted the source. I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that Michael just quoted what he found. It's also very hard to take someone seriously when they quote Trump, ironic or not.

As for Crouton, like I said, it is a bit different from a user stand point, as I believe you still need to unlock the device to install it, and AFAIK the installation process isn't exactly as easy as searching and installing an app. I guess you could say this is a more user accessible means of delivering Crossover to Chrome users. I wouldn't say either is a more native way of running Crossover, but I would assume the Android layer is likely better on memory and storage as ART is integrated into the OS, while Crouton runs a completely parallel OS/run-time.

I'm sure there's limitations on making this a full fledged native chrome app, and it does seem like a creative way of getting it to the Chrome OS user-base.

Comment

I guess you could say this is a more user accessible means of delivering Crossover to Chrome users.
                  Vs Crouton/Wine, yes, absolutely agree with that.

But I do think that a reputable site, and a reputable site owner, should be accountable for the accuracy of the content they go to the effort to disseminate. The title of the article isn't a verbatim quote. It's Michael's own words.

The article itself... sure it's got quotes, but if Weekly World News puts up an article that Aliens have invaded Texas, Phoronix would not be very respectable to post "Aliens have invaded Texas" and pass that off as news. That is Fake News.

Trump may be an idiot, but I respect the meme derived from his fearless attitude towards poor journalism, and this article is poor journalism.
                  Last edited by linuxgeex; 22 November 2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Vs Crouton/Wine, yes, absolutely agree with that.

But I do think that a reputable site, and a reputable site owner, should be accountable for the accuracy of the content they go to the effort to disseminate. The title of the article isn't a verbatim quote. It's Michael's own words.

The article itself... sure it's got quotes, but if Weekly World News puts up an article that Aliens have invaded Texas, Phoronix would not be very respectable to post "Aliens have invaded Texas" and pass that off as news. That is Fake News.

Trump may be an idiot, but I respect the meme derived from his fearless attitude towards poor journalism, and this article is poor journalism.

At the risk of diverging into an area outside the scope of this forum, "poor journalism" != "fake news". Although, given the fact that the general thesis of the discussion thus far raises questions of journalistic integrity, as well as using terms and phrases part of our Zeitgeist to support the claims therein, perhaps I can be forgiven to endulge this one time in hopes of thwarting existing misconceptions and preventing them from escaping into the digital records of human history unchallenged or, worse yet, providing a basis for "alternative facts".

The only remarkable thing about Trump is exhibiting psychopathic tendencies
                    characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, egotistical traits
                    throughout his life in the public sphere.

To expand on that, when a person's defense mechanism is tuned to negate any criticism no matter how petty through logical fallacies or blatant lies even; when that person's megalomaniacal personality has been skillfully used for profit through the advent of advertising and reality television; when the claims made to protect those egotistical traits, or "the brand", are routinely vague, absurd, misleading, and even contradictory to previous claims; when that person's statements reach an inordinate number of people; then that person's statements have a higher chance to resonate with others and they're assigned almost mystical powers whereby two people can be reading or listening to the same endless list of statements and they can both agree with the author of those statements while staunchily disagreeing with each other and using the author's statements as proof or facts to support their respective arguments/claims.

By the way, it's a catch-22 at times; while attacking a person who uses ad hominem attacks and pointing out the fallacies does NOT make you guilty of the same fallacy, it can be misconstrued as such--especially when that other person skillfully labels you as such with "I know you are, but what am I" type arguments.

Finally, I hope you'll forgive me here if I somehow overstep my bounds, but equating "Phoronix" with news media journalism (to me) suggests that you may not be aware of what "fake news" is aside from a meme that, like I said already, uses the ad hominem attacks against an entity, if you will: the Press.

Comment

Working...
                    X