Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrossOver Now Lets You Run Windows Apps On Chrome OS

Phoronix: CrossOver Now Lets You Run Windows Apps On Chrome OS

CodeWeavers has now announced the availability of their Wine-powered CrossOver software for Chrome OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this also work on ARM Chromebooks? If so, does it allow you to run x86 programs? I can't seem to find any info on this.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Does this also work on ARM Chromebooks? If so, does it allow you to run x86 programs? I can't seem to find any info on this.
      It says it's only for Intel Chromebooks.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        It's not emulator, neither virtualization. It just runs windows x86 binaries, to which it provides custom libraries implementing windows APIs.

Comment

Back in the early 2000's I used to pay the $25 or $50 to buy the Codeweavers CD and got some good use out of it. But recently I downloaded the 30 day trial and found that it was only able to run the same older office programs as PlayOnLinux or vanilla wine. Might be good for gamers, but I don't see the value for an office computer.

Comment

Its' value for office computers would likely come from the professional support provided by Codeweavers combined with their bottles system for quickly sharing and troubleshooting software compatibility for multiple machines.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Back in the early 2000's I used to pay the $25 or $50 to buy the Codeweavers CD and got some good use out of it. But recently I downloaded the 30 day trial and found that it was only able to run the same older office programs as PlayOnLinux or vanilla wine. Might be good for gamers, but I don't see the value for an office computer.
              Guess which company is mainly responsible for Wine developing?
              Hint: it is not PlayOnLinux.

If you really like Wine - please consider buy again CodeWeavers CrossOver Linux or donate them by https://www.winehq.org/donate

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post

It says it's only for Intel Chromebooks.
                wondering out loud: did someone already jailbreak the old ARM Windows RT Surface's to run a proper Linux on them? ;-)

Comment

Looking at the reviews on the Play Store, the title of the article should probably be:

"CrossOver lets you run *select* Windows apps on Chrome OS"

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                    It's not emulator, neither virtualization.
                    I'm aware; that doesn't answer my question.
                    It just runs windows x86 binaries, to which it provides custom libraries implementing windows APIs.
                    Except the ARM version of Wine doesn't run x86 binaries, for the reason you just mentioned - it's not an emulator, and therefore does not emulate x86:

But CrossOver is more than just a repackaged Wine, and I am unaware of any applications in ChromeOS that are architecture-specific. It wouldn't surprise me if ChromeOS itself is actually within an emulator, much like how Android is. So, depending how the OS and CrossOver are set up, it's still unclear if all ChromeOS-based devices will support x86 applications; it is possible none of them will, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X