X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overwatch
    replied
    Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post

I don't know. After using GNOME for the past year (or so), I feel awkward every time I need to use Windows. GNOME Shell doesn't get in my way, I kind of like their vision of different.
    Exactly. Don't need no Unity or other "Ubuntification" of functional desktop environments.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by slacka View Post
    Ubuntu was one of the first Linux distros to get sub-pixel anti-aliasing right. Other distros like Arch only recently got their fonts looking as professional as Windows / OS X while others needed us to play with patches like infinality.
    Majority of distributions couldn't include the lcddefault method due to design patents issues at that time.

Leave a comment:

• slacka
    replied
    Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
    do those pesky little UI tweaks, and do that last mile "just work" stuff that commericial desktop OSses do, that GNU, and UNIX nerds hate so much.

It worked out really well last time with gnome 2. The packaged a really great gnome 2 desktop, when debian's default config was derp
    Ubuntu was one of the first Linux distros to get sub-pixel anti-aliasing right. Other distros like Arch only recently got their fonts looking as professional as Windows / OS X without needing to play with patches like infinality.

Ubuntu knows how to polish.
    Last edited by slacka; 01 November 2017, 10:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GI_Jack
    replied
    Welp,

Now that this giant spat is over, its time for Canonical to do what they do best. Hunt for 1st day bugs, and do those pesky little UI tweaks, and do that last mile "just work" stuff that commericial desktop OSses do, that GNU, and UNIX nerds hate so much.

It worked out really well last time with gnome 2. The packaged a really great gnome 2 desktop, when debian's default config was derp

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
    Full screen app search on my 2K monitor is a super waste of space!
    That is something that amuses me when I watch other people using a 1080p and above screen. You can have multiple programs opened at the same time people! We are not in a 14" CRT screen anymore... Enjoy all the space you have! Most websites do not scale beyond ~1100 vertical lines.

Leave a comment:

• JeansenVaars
    replied
    Full screen app search on my 2K monitor is a super waste of space!

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by grok View Post
    I don't understand why the workspaces (I didn't use them) are to be accessed on the right of the screen whereas the other stuff (launcher, window management) is on the left. Perhaps it's "beautiful" and more balanced that way but I don't want to imagine the mousing on a 3840-wide low dpi monitor (these exist : several ultra-wide formats, or 40" and 43" 16:9) (and there's no 5K-wide low dpi - yet)
    There is one thing called mouse pointer acceleration.
    It allows to mouse around with not that much mouse (or touchpad finger) movement, comparable to the effort in doing that with a HD-ready screen. Also on Windows (and probably on MacOS).

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    Hopefully, they can push GNOME towards becoming more user friendly - instead of being just different in every regard.
    Considering Canonical's track record, it's more likely they will push it more towards the crazy NIH bullshit, something GNOME is pretty great at on its own too.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

Stear? Like an ox?
    (In before tildearrow )
    It is a valid word... (I think)

Leave a comment:

• grok
    replied
    Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post

Have been using Gnome 3 for about 5 years (from 3.04 or something like that).

The only extension I really need in gnome is Hide Top Bar. Using that I got to use the whole screen for windows. Actually it's one of the reasons I ended up loving Gnome over the classic Desktop Environment (like KDE or XFCE) layout, I just have full screen windows and when I want something else it's just a Windows key + some typing away (and the search functionality has improved considerably over the years). As everyone who cares for efficiency knows, keyboard >> mouse.

I can understand it not being appropriate for your workflow, and that's okay. It's the nice thing about having choices.
    I very briefly used Gnome 3.2 I think on someone else computer (the version that was in Debian)
    Hiding the top bar, it would be very much what I thought it was even with the top bar. It's a new, super smooth Windows 3.1! (smooth on Intel graphics and fast CPU at least)

It was super easy to use with one or two windows, perhaps three or four would work well. Like Windows 3.1.
    I don't understand why the workspaces (I didn't use them) are to be accessed on the right of the screen whereas the other stuff (launcher, window management) is on the left. Perhaps it's "beautiful" and more balanced that way but I don't want to imagine the mousing on a 3840-wide low dpi monitor (these exist : several ultra-wide formats, or 40" and 43" 16:9) (and there's no 5K-wide low dpi - yet)
    Last edited by grok; 01 November 2017, 12:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X