Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Joins The GNOME Advisory Board

Phoronix: Canonical Joins The GNOME Advisory Board

With the switch from Unity back to GNOME as the default desktop environment of Ubuntu, Canonical has joined the GNOME Foundation's Advisory Board...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gosh, revive Unity already. You can use whatever GNOME apps you want, but ditch the GNOME Shell.

Comment

Hopefully, they can push GNOME towards becoming more user friendly - instead of being just different in every regard.

Comment

Unfortunately not even the recently released Ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME 3.26 seem to support colored emojis. 😭

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        Gosh, revive Unity already. You can use whatever GNOME apps you want, but ditch the GNOME Shell.
        GNOME Shell is quite okay with some customizations. Example Classic extensions, or dash-to-dock or dash-to-panel.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          GNOME Shell is quite okay with some customizations. Example Classic extensions, or dash-to-dock or dash-to-panel.
          If you have 4K monitor maybe, otherwise having empty title bar, even for full screen window is not OK. Having app menus in the title bar again is super convenient and sleek.
          Tried GNOME Shell, too much wasted vertical space and ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
            Hopefully, they can push GNOME towards becoming more user friendly - instead of being just different in every regard.
            I don't know. After using GNOME for the past year (or so), I feel awkward every time I need to use Windows. GNOME Shell doesn't get in my way, I kind of like their vision of different.

Comment

If you have 4K monitor maybe, otherwise having empty title bar, even for full screen window is not OK. Having app menus in the title bar again is super convenient and sleek.
              Have been using Gnome 3 for about 5 years (from 3.04 or something like that).

The only extension I really need in gnome is Hide Top Bar. Using that I got to use the whole screen for windows. Actually it's one of the reasons I ended up loving Gnome over the classic Desktop Environment (like KDE or XFCE) layout, I just have full screen windows and when I want something else it's just a Windows key + some typing away (and the search functionality has improved considerably over the years). As everyone who cares for efficiency knows, keyboard >> mouse.

I can understand it not being appropriate for your workflow, and that's okay. It's the nice thing about having choices.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
                helping stear the overall direction
                Stear? Like an ox?
                (In before tildearrow )

Comment

That is my main problem with Gnome 3 right now. All the bars are so large. A lot of people are stuck with 1366x768 screens (on cheap laptops). Every vertical line counts man.

Comment

Jumbo title bars.

Comment

Working...
                    X