LXQt 0.12 released With Better HiDPI Support, More Robust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
    I don't know whether it's an LXQt issue but my colleague is frequently driven crazy when she disconnects her second screen and not only do the windows there not migrate to the first screen, LibreOffice insists on opening any new windows on the missing second screen and I've not found any way of bringing them back, short of completely closing LibreOffice first. When you click on the entries in the taskbar, you can see the restore animation zooming across to the missing screen. I even tried using Alt+M with the arrow keys to bring the windows across but that doesn't work.
    You checked that the system (Xorg probably) has actually removed the screen?

Because I sometimes get similar issues also on KDE, the system keeps thinking that there is a second screen, and the only way to get it to work properly is to go in the display properties and disable the second screen.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      You checked that the system (Xorg probably) has actually removed the screen?
      Been a while since I last looked at it but I think I did and the screen wasn't showing under xrandr.

Comment

Have you tried setting the connected screen to primary via xrandr? Does lXQt support kscreen as I am disconnecting screens from my laptop all the time using KDE Neon and never have the issue you describe anymore? I would be tempted to try xrandr --output DEVICE --primary && kwin_x11 --replace when you see this issue as that will probably make kwin recheck the screen space.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
          Not a bad DE at all that used to run nicely on my little netbook before Arch dropped 32-bit packages. I can't think of many places to run this now, except maybe the low power ARM devices.
          You can still run it on Arch. Just switch your repos to the community 32-bit Arch repos, instructions are over here:

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

You can still run it on Arch. Just switch your repos to the community 32-bit Arch repos, instructions are over here:

https://archlinux32.org
            Thanks, that's good to know! However, I've already replaced that particular device with a Skylake-based system but if I ever decide to put it to use again at least there's something out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
              Not a bad DE at all that used to run nicely on my little netbook before Arch dropped 32-bit packages. I can't think of many places to run this now, except maybe the low power ARM devices.
              Its useful for embedded applications. I also use it for my gaming PC, since LXQt has everything I need to play games.

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              Is there some progress on the Wayland front?
              Probably not - LXQt is based on Openbox, which to my knowledge seems to have no plans for Wayland. But I could be wrong. Regardless, Openbox is the main limitation.

​​​​​​​
              I don't know whether it's an LXQt issue but my colleague is frequently driven crazy when she disconnects her second screen and not only do the windows there not migrate to the first screen, LibreOffice insists on opening any new windows on the missing second screen and I've not found any way of bringing them back, short of completely closing LibreOffice first. When you click on the entries in the taskbar, you can see the restore animation zooming across to the missing screen. I even tried using Alt+M with the arrow keys to bring the windows across but that doesn't work.
              Is she using Nvidia drivers? Sometimes Nvidia GPUs can be a little annoying with multi-monitor setups.

Comment

Not that it helps any, but Win10 does the same. If I open task manager on my secondary screen and then I remove the screen, Windows continues rendering there as if nothing has happened. Closing task manager and reopening doesn't help, because Windows remember where it was last drawn. On top of that, I can see the app in the taskbar, but there's no way to send it to another screen from there

Now, keep in mind there's a difference between DVI and DisplayPort: when you disconnect/power off a monitor using DisplayPort, it is properly signaled to the host as gone. DVI doesn't do that (though it does something, because KDE senses when it's gone). I don't know how HDMI behaves.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not that it helps any, but Win10 does the same. If I open task manager on my secondary screen and then I remove the screen, Windows continues rendering there as if nothing has happened. Closing task manager and reopening doesn't help, because Windows remember where it was last drawn. On top of that, I can see the app in the taskbar, but there's no way to send it to another screen from there
                  That's complete sillyness but there should be a way : have that task manager window active (because you've launched it, or alt-tab to it) then use alt-space to open the "window control menu" on the top left (seen in Windows 3.1, Motif, Gnome 2 etc.). Then down arrow and enter (or a shortcut letter - activate the "Move" option). Then you can move the rogue window with keyboard arrows.
                  Similar thing can be done with linux desktops, often with the Alt-F7 to move window, then there's the somewhat well known alt + mouse dragging as well if one part of window is visible.

I think Windows has or had window controls available when right-clicking in the taskbar but with the Windows 7 kind of taskbar with squares, they're removed.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

That's complete sillyness but there should be a way : have that task manager window active (because you've launched it, or alt-tab to it) then use alt-space to open the "window control menu" on the top left (seen in Windows 3.1, Motif, Gnome 2 etc.). Then down arrow and enter (or a shortcut letter - activate the "Move" option). Then you can move the rogue window with keyboard arrows.
                    Similar thing can be done with linux desktops, often with the Alt-F7 to move window, then there's the somewhat well known alt + mouse dragging as well if one part of window is visible.

I think Windows has or had window controls available when right-clicking in the taskbar but with the Windows 7 kind of taskbar with squares, they're removed.
                    Yes, I know it can be moved using keyboard shortcuts. I was just saying in some regards Windows can be even sillier than Linux DEs when it comes to multiple monitors.

Comment

Working...
                    X