No announcement yet.

Epiphany 3.28 Development Kicks Off With Safe Browsing, Better Flatpak Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphany 3.28 Development Kicks Off With Safe Browsing, Better Flatpak Handling

Phoronix: Epiphany 3.28 Development Kicks Off With Safe Browsing, Better Flatpak Handling

Epiphany 3.27.1 was released a short time ago as the first development release of this web-browser for the GNOME 3.28 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    This article is a little confusing... The title says 3.28 begins work on Safe Browsing, while the body says 3.27.1 does:
    3.27.x is the working alpha-beta to general 3.28 branch of all GNOME 3.28 applications core.

Comment

I have this hotkeyed for keyboard launch because how fadt it loads and how simple it is and clean it is presenting websites to clients or showing off sites.

Comment

I like Epiphany. Wish it could replace Firefox, but there are too many issues. Crashes, sub-par adblocking, bad YouTube experience, no auto-completion and no auto-scrolling just to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          I like Epiphany. Wish it could replace Firefox, but there are too many issues. Crashes, sub-par adblocking, bad YouTube experience, no auto-completion and no auto-scrolling just to name a few.
          i'd like to switch but Epiphany just doesnt have what Firefox gives me.

Comment

I've just emerged it on Gentoo. This version wants a couple of new libraries ( libdazzle etc) but still fails at start with a message that it couldn't find entry in Glib registry for safe browsing or somesuch. Downgraded to 3.26.1 for the moment.
            Last edited by Brane215; 17 October 2017, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
              Auto-completion worked fine for me last time I tried it during the 3.25 cycle. Ad-blocking is sub-par by default, but you can extend the list of filters manually: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...advertisements YouTube is a bit iffy in general if you don't use a Chrome-based browser. I had issues with it in Firefox 55 and 57 as well. But yes, Epiphany does crash every now and then but more importantly: it eats up RAM and CPU.

Comment

Vistaus
                The adblocker will miss certain elements even though they are included in the block lists. It's just not competent enough to block everything. I know the developers want to overhaul this part of epiphany though, but it will take some time.

Comment

This is really cool, a web browser with Flatpak support!
                  Because Flatpak supports sandboxing.
                  Linux application sandboxing and distribution framework - flatpak/flatpak

flatpak-builder has already been introduced in Building your first Flatpak and Building Introduction. This page provides additional detail on how to use flatpak-builder, including the various comma...

This makes it possible to run the web browser in a sandbox to make it more secure.

Comment

Btw, I'm wondering: is auto-scrolling hardware-related? 'Cause I also remember having auto-scroll in Vivaldi earlier this year but people on the Vivaldi forums claimed Vivaldi had no support for auto-scroll. So that leads me to think it has something to do with certain hardware...

Comment

Working...
                    X