Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.28 Expected To Ship On Pi Day

Phoronix: GNOME 3.28 Expected To Ship On Pi Day

The GNOME team has firmed up the release schedule for the in-development GNOME 3.28 desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like a nice update in the making. I'm liking the new GNOME control panel / settings item integration too. I wonder what's wrong with the current System Monitor to need a replacement? It looks like GNOME 3.26 just got pushed to the stable repositories on Arch Linux but I have been using the one from testing for a couple weeks. 3.26 is working great on my VMShell configuration too:

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Sounds like a nice update in the making. I'm liking the new GNOME control panel / settings item integration too. I wonder what's wrong with the current System Monitor to need a replacement? It looks like GNOME 3.26 just got pushed to the stable repositories on Arch Linux but I have been using the one from testing for a couple weeks. 3.26 is working great on my VMShell configuration too:

Wooooo! What's that? Is it VirtualBox Seamless Mode (I don't think that given you are also running Steam) or something more powerful?

Comment

I am looking forward to GNOME 3.28 because I am using 3.26 and is very pleased with it.
        It is really nice that the the gnome-shell bar is now translucent, GNOME Builder can build FlatPak packages, it now have night light, Polari now have emoji. Gitg has improved. There is so many nice things.

Things I would hope for:
        • Wayland: Better window positioning.
        • dconf-editor: Better usability. Less clicks. Less navigation.
        • Builder: GTK+ UI previews.
        • Character Map: More emojis and emoticons.
        • Cheese: Snapchat-style AR filters.
        • Clocks: Picture-in-picture (PiP) overlay when minimized.
        • Devhelp: Search provider for gnome-shell.
        • Fonts: Search/filter function.
        • gitg: Further improvements. Filtering, sorting, searching, signing. Usability.
        • Glade: Stability improvements.
        • Help / Desktop Guide: Responsive design.
        • Logs: colors, contextual colors. Contextual icons. âš 
        • Maps: Usability improvements.
        • Nautilus: Integration with Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, and Dropbox.
        • Seahorse: Modernization. Usability.
        • Rhythmbox: HeaderBar support.
        • Todo: Desktop widget support.
        • Totem: Picture-in-picture (PiP) overlay when minimized.
        • Tweaks: Scroll wheel sensitivity.
        • Weather: Desktop widget support.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          [...] a replacement for gnome-system-monitor
          You are talking about gnome-usage, right?
          I think they are copying Windows 10 task manager...

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            Yeah, I just hope Arch maintainers would push it earlier into testing repository so we could avoid the mess that happened with 3.26.1 landing in stable repository. What happened? 3.26.0 was in testing till 1 day before 3.26.1 was pushed to stable, efectively there was no testing for 26.1, and mess was caused by .1 update..., so it seems to me that is bad practise GNOME maintainers of Arch are doing, they should either push 3.2x .0 version into the stable, or push .1 into testing for at least one week, so we can be sure it's actually stable.

As for system monitor, there's lot's of things wrong with it, it's very outdated, it needs at least aestethic upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: GNOME 3.28 Expected To Ship On Pi Day
              Fortunately for Gnome users that's 14/3, not 22/7!

Comment

I hope they are able to finally land wayland fullscreen "unredirect" support. It's the last issue that sometimes makes me switch back to xorg for performance reasons
                Investigate if Gnome Shell/Wayland has fullscreen bypass, and implement if it doesn't exist already. This lets fullscreen windows render directly, and skips all compositor work.

Comment

Originally posted by Matteo Iervasi View Post
                  Wooooo! What's that? Is it VirtualBox Seamless Mode (I don't think that given you are also running Steam) or something more powerful?
                  It's VMWare's Unity mode (same thing), he posted his scripts/package to make that setup on github in another post https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...743#post980743

I doubt it is using true GPU passthrough (which afaik is possible only with ESXi, the bare metal hypervisor from VMWare), but afaik VMWare's emulated 3D acceleration drivers are better than Virtualbox's.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    It's VMWare's Unity mode (same thing), he posted his scripts/package to make that setup on github in another post https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...743#post980743

I doubt it is using true GPU passthrough (which afaik is possible only with ESXi, the bare metal hypervisor from VMWare), but afaik VMWare's emulated 3D acceleration drivers are better than Virtualbox's.
                    Actually it isn't VMWare Unity mode as that isn't supported on neither Linux hosts nor Linux guests:

It's running a Linux guest VM on-top of Windows 10 and using some software I'm developing that makes it perform the function of a complete Windows shell replacement with Windows host application integration inside the Linux guest desktop. GPU passthrough isn't used as games are running bare-metal on Windows with the Windows video driver while Linux games are running inside the VM using the SVGAII vGPU driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X