KDE Plasma 5.11 Officially Released With Vault, Better Wayland & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    lol I can't tell if you're joking along with DanL or are really that ironically clueless about what he actually meant (I'm guessing the former).
    I was just playing along the lines of the classic joke about geeks planning a party:
    Geek1: I'll bring the beer, is 10 six packs enough?
    Geek2: I'll bring the snacks, is 10 plates enough?
    Geek3: I'll bring the women, is 10GB enough?
    Last edited by bug77; 10 October 2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I can't tell if you're joking along with DanL or are really that ironically clueless about what he actually meant (I'm guessing the former).
      I couldn't tell either and I was guessing the latter, so I just left it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I wouldn't know, I've never been comfortable with Gnome.
        Does it surprise you Gnome fans find configurable stuff confusing? The only thing mildly surprising is their need to share that with us in like every KDE thread.
        As a long time Gnome user, i've never had a problem with KDE being configurable!
        For me it was always about the papercuts: KDE is beautiful, configurable, powerfull, but stuff like:
        • Pressing 'open' on a zip file on Firefox to get it downloaded and realise that Ark doesn't open the associated filte type. But if i save the file and open it from dolphin, it does...
        • Trying to view a movie from my home share and having to download the whole file before playing it...
        • Weird behaviour with the panel icons...
        • Papercuts, papercuts, papercuts, ...
        Gnome 3 is also bad, but only because of the lack of stuff... In order to get it to be usable you need to install a couple of extensions, but those make the system unstable... So i default to Cinnamon.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

With the Gnome bikinis being very basic, but having tons of plugins, while the KDE bikinis come with everthing and the kitchen sink?
          Exactly!

Comment

Thank you to all Plasma developers! Hope that more and more users and KDE devs start to use Wayland as a daily driver so that the remaining issues can be addressed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              Pressing 'open' on a zip file on Firefox to get it downloaded and realise that Ark doesn't open the associated filte type. But if i save the file and open it from dolphin, it does...
              That is pretty weird. I haven't used KDE+FF in years so I can't comment on this, but you should be able to adjust the MIME associations so this doesn't happen. Personally, I never open zips directly, I just right-click and extract them.
              Trying to view a movie from my home share and having to download the whole file before playing it...
              What program are you using? I've found VLC allows me to view the movie without downloading it, though, only through SMB. If I use SFTP, VLC wants gives me a login prompt and nothing I try works; this doesn't happen on my LXQt setup; I figure this isn't specifically a KDE problem, though. I suggest you may want to try a DLNA service on the remote system. Makes media playback slightly simpler in some cases.
              Weird behaviour with the panel icons...
              Example?

Note I'm not trying to be an ass or dismiss your examples, I'm trying to help.

Comment

Thanks to KDE developers! I'll wait for it to arrive in Debian testing.

Comment

The 'kde' vs 'gnome' atmosphere on phoronix is making me nervous. Let's hope no terrorist is in one of those camps.

Comment

No Night Light (reduction of color temperature)? It supposed to be in Plasma 5.11, but there isn't anything about it in changelog.

Comment

That is pretty weird. I haven't used KDE+FF in years so I can't comment on this, but you should be able to adjust the MIME associations so this doesn't happen. Personally, I never open zips directly, I just right-click and extract them.

What program are you using? I've found VLC allows me to view the movie without downloading it, though, only through SMB. If I use SFTP, VLC wants gives me a login prompt and nothing I try works; this doesn't happen on my LXQt setup; I figure this isn't specifically a KDE problem, though. I suggest you may want to try a DLNA service on the remote system. Makes media playback slightly simpler in some cases.

Example?

Note I'm not trying to be an ass or dismiss your examples, I'm trying to help.
                      Eh, he didn't even say it was a recent install. But yes, the downside of configurability is that you get so many setups, it's almost impossible to compare them. One leftover that you forgot about and your system behaves weirdly all of a sudden. Luckily I like to tinker so these are non issues for me, but at the same time I understand when someone else prefers Gnome. I'm glad both of them exist. And I'm glad there's another dozen of "lesser" DEs ready to take over when neither KDE nor Gnome will cut it.

Comment

Working...
                      X