No announcement yet.

Fwupd 1.0.0 Released To Advance Linux Firmware Updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have hardware that is supported yet, my Dell XPS 13 is too old, but I think newer version can be updated trough fwupd. I hope other hardware vendors will follow... but sure, best would be to replace the UEFI crap completely with coreboot.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      Am I wrong or Fedora beautifully integrates Fwupd in the Gnome Software GUI so that the user gets to update those firmwares through the regulate OS update process? I remember in f25 my Logitech unified receiver firmware got updated that way.

Please also, which other "user-friendly" distros offer that level of integration? Not sure about Ubuntu (Software updater + Ubuntu/Gnome Software) but remember that Manjaro removes Gnome Software, haven't tried Tumbleweed with Gnome in a while and have no idea about others with different DEs. Cheers
      Afaik, gnome-software is the only UI for fwupd. I heard its working on Ubuntu, Debian, Arch and Fedora. Even though not every of these distributions offer it on a default installation, the users can install it easily afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Afaik, gnome-software is the only UI for fwupd. I heard its working on Ubuntu, Debian, Arch and Fedora. Even though not every of these distributions offer it on a default installation, the users can install it easily afterwards.
        Arch has 0.9.7 version, still not updated to 1.0.0.

I know it because I use it
        Last edited by timofonic; 12 October 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

TUXEDO Computers currently discusses taking part in "Linux Vendor Firmware Service" for their Notebook brand. Lets see if they can outpace other big players with their Linux only engagement.

Comment

Tuxedo Computers currently discusses taking part in the "Linux Vendor Firmware Service". The sell some linux only notebooks and hope to limit firmware update hassle due to windows-only upgradebility.

Comment

Working...
            X