Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Blender 2.8 Design Document Published

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Blender 2.8 Design Document Published

    Phoronix: New Blender 2.8 Design Document Published

    For those 3D artists looking forward to next year's big Blender 2.8 update, a new design document has been published...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2.8-Design-Doc

  • #2
    But does it run natively on Wayland?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      But does it run natively on Wayland?
      Yeah, that's something I was wondering about. My guess is that the answer is no, and there are some decent reasons. They would have to change some things about the interface for Wayland (on top of the normal porting burden, since they have a custom toolkit): for example, Wayland does not do pointer warping, which is used quite extensively in Blender, so it would have to be either emulated or swapped out for a stationary cursor (with the same input, just different display).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        But does it run natively on Wayland?
        No, it doesn't. And judging by their bug tracker, noone cares. There was some guy who wanted to implement it but he gave up.
        And seeing how they stick with their hand written python gui where they can't add simple things because it would take quite some time to write them i doubt they ever will unless someone else will do it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sunweb View Post

          No, it doesn't. And judging by their bug tracker, noone cares. There was some guy who wanted to implement it but he gave up.
          And seeing how they stick with their hand written python gui where they can't add simple things because it would take quite some time to write them i doubt they ever will unless someone else will do it.
          This has nothing to do with their "hand written python gui". The OS specific code (window, input etc) is well abstracted.

          There was an attempt to use SDL afaik. But it does not support tablets. You are free to contribute a Wayland backend if you feel like it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Wayland does not do pointer warping
            Yeah, though it's an unstable protocol, has been worked on for years and already implemented in Weston and apparently in XWayland.
            https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Pointer-Weston

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Yeah, though it's an unstable protocol, has been worked on for years and already implemented in Weston and apparently in XWayland.
              https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Pointer-Weston
              The Relative Pointer Protocol is not pointer warping. Fire up Blender, right click the default cube object, and press g, then drag your mouse all the way to the edge... and past! You'll observe pointer warping.

              Relative pointers let you do similar things, except that the pointer is not actually warped.
              Last edited by microcode; 10-08-2017, 10:58 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by microcode View Post

                Relative pointers let you do similar things, except that the pointer is not actually warped.
                So what's the difference between pointer warping and the unstable protocol?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Does it run natively on Far-aWay-land?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    But does it run natively on Wayland?
                    yeah yeah, all those technical advances for both the developers and artist are nice, BUT the real question is: Can I run Doom inside blender?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X