No announcement yet.

KDE's Amarok Music Player Seeing A Possible KF5/Qt5 Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too little too late. Amarok stopped being an useful music player and organizer and became a Wikipedia browser that also plays music, throwing the baby with the bath water and ostracizing its userbase. Let it stay dead, please. Apart from a coding exercise, there’s not anything good coming from it anymore.

Comment

amarok, much like kontact, is an application that seems lost to time.
      progress long lost, leaving it a curious relic much like a classic car from the 50's.
      roll on elisa and kube; the king is dead, long live the king.

Comment

Amarok... I haven't heard that name in a long time.

Seriously, I'm all for Cantata now, it's so good it almost makes me cry, like, where have you been my whole life or such.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          mpd works fine for me, with over three times as many files.
          Can report the same with 35000 songs, works fine and the search function is quick and the artist+album view is responsive when searching there as well.

I am aware of others aswell with 20k+ libraries which it works without any hickups for, so sounds kind of odd.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

Clementine is the only music player I know of that ...
            I also like Clementine best of all, but I'm currently developing a new audio player because I want lower CPU usage and a (much) smaller code base, if you're into compiling from source here's the work in progress:

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

After dependencies are installed, "meson builddir", "cd builddir" and "ninja" to compile. The executable will be in app/quince.

Comment

Yay! I'm still using amarok, and it still rocks for me on a 50G collection. I don't see why so much people complain, really. The UI is consistent, and didn'"t had a single issue in years in managing, tagging and playing music.
              Quite glad that its rolling to Qt5!

Comment

That's nice. I moved on to Cantata, but it has problems with queueing tracks and crashes every now and again. I might give Amarok another try if it's completely ported.

Comment

Another happy Amarok user here. Though in all honesty, what I would like to see is a simple, no frills, folder based player. Add to that plugins to turn it into Amarok or even (pardon the expression) iTunes. But keep the core nimble. That will take care of ongoing maintenance.
                  Music players today integrate everything and the kitchen sink, but no player has worked for me as well as the old Winamp. Which is still installed on my Windows, next to Foobar2k.

Comment

Gehh, I admit Default for Amarok is quite hideous. But we are talking about kde here, if you are using default settings you are using wrong DE.

Comment

In Kubuntu, for some releases now Amarok has a bug that it do not remembers the play list after you close it. And a nasty memory consumption (starts at 400 MB).

But you know what? I came back to it after trying in vain replacing it with Clementine and others.

- No other have the interface flexibility it has;

- No other have a playlist interface like it has;

- I dot not care about memory consumption, I have lots to spare;

- I can recreate the playlist with one click and drop movement;

The development never really stopped, just have keep going at a slow pace.

Comment

Working...
                      X